How much EVOO is too much?

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/10 1:13 am - AZ
I am a grazer but I usually can get away with it because I graze on various veggies.  Steamed veggies, veggie salads, etc.

I recently discovered black bean salad (black beans, celery, bell peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, etc.) and it has an olive oil base dressing.

When I make this I eat it all day long but it hit me when I realized I'm going through EVOO like crazy and I realized just how much EVOO I'm consuming.

At what point is it too much?  The scale isn't moving so I'm not gaining but it just doesn't seem like a good food to overdo.  When I make this salad I'm consuming about 1/4 cup of olive oil in a day.

Just how horrible is that?  Should I stop making it?  (It's all or none for me.)

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/10 1:33 am - Miami Lakes, FL
Hey MidwesternGirl,

I'm still pre-op so I don't really have the answer :-(, BUT, I made that bean salad you posted sometime last week, and it was delicious!! Thanks for the recipe.  If all else fails you could do a little bit more lime juice and a little less olive oil. 

Autumn
(deactivated member)
on 3/31/10 1:37 am - AZ

Glad you liked it.  I'm hooked on EVOO based dressings now. ;o)

maryposa
on 3/31/10 2:54 am - Orange County, CA
EVOO is healthy, but yes caloric.  I would focus not on how much actual fat grams you are getting but protein and calories.... if you stay under your calorie limit you should keep losing.  Otherwise, other than transfats, fat is good for your insulin and blood sugar levels, it is satiating (as long as your eating is not taste-driven) , and good for your cholesterol levels, etc.
Follow my progress on youtube!
(Lost slowly and painfully from 355 to 275 from 2007-2009, then started gaining again before scheduling surgery!  Best thing I ever did! :D)

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/10 3:03 am - AZ
On March 31, 2010 at 9:54 AM Pacific Time, maryposa wrote:
EVOO is healthy, but yes caloric.  I would focus not on how much actual fat grams you are getting but protein and calories.... if you stay under your calorie limit you should keep losing.  Otherwise, other than transfats, fat is good for your insulin and blood sugar levels, it is satiating (as long as your eating is not taste-driven) , and good for your cholesterol levels, etc.

I'm not really concerned about losing at this stage of the game, I've been at goal for over 2 years.  It's my labs that I'm thinking about.  I don't want my good/bad cholesterol moving around much! ;o)

I've never paid  much attention to calories since I got to goal.  I look at protein and white carbs, that's about it.

Thanks!!!

maryposa
on 3/31/10 4:05 am, edited 3/31/10 4:07 am - Orange County, CA
Oops!  LOL yes I knew that... duh me hehe

Well olive oil, avacado, coconut oil and even fat from properly raised animals all help balance your omega 3/6 ratios which in turn reduces inflamation and improves your cholesterol.  If your triglycerides fall because of not eating many bad carbs, it can throw your "bad" cholesterol numbers off, and the number has to be calculated differently, but the labs do not pay attention to this and sadly most PCP/GP do not even know this.  As for your "bad" cholesterol, if you are consuming a low-moderate carb, healthy fat diet with adequate protein, some of your "bad" cholesterol is actually GOOD, because it is the big, fluffy kind.  

I have seen posters here brag about their low cholesterol levels.  Lower cholesterol levels are not good, they are associated with cancer.  Cholesterol has a JOB in the body and anything less than 150-160 is nothing to brag about.  Just because high cholesterol is BAD does not mean low cholesterol is GOOD.  Balance is good.  I am not saying yours is too low I don't know what it is , so sorry to go on a rant lol but it's one of those topics that I am passionate about.

If it weren't for my weight  problem (which makes me think no one will listen to me) I swear I would have been a dietician/nutritionist hehe

PS I did not post links to studies because I do not have access to the files on which I saved this inormation.... if anyone does not beleive me they can do searches on-line with keywords like "low cholesterol associated with cancer" or whatnot.

Follow my progress on youtube!
(Lost slowly and painfully from 355 to 275 from 2007-2009, then started gaining again before scheduling surgery!  Best thing I ever did! :D)

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/10 4:28 am - AZ
On March 31, 2010 at 11:05 AM Pacific Time, maryposa wrote:
Oops!  LOL yes I knew that... duh me hehe

Well olive oil, avacado, coconut oil and even fat from properly raised animals all help balance your omega 3/6 ratios which in turn reduces inflamation and improves your cholesterol.  If your triglycerides fall because of not eating many bad carbs, it can throw your "bad" cholesterol numbers off, and the number has to be calculated differently, but the labs do not pay attention to this and sadly most PCP/GP do not even know this.  As for your "bad" cholesterol, if you are consuming a low-moderate carb, healthy fat diet with adequate protein, some of your "bad" cholesterol is actually GOOD, because it is the big, fluffy kind.  

I have seen posters here brag about their low cholesterol levels.  Lower cholesterol levels are not good, they are associated with cancer.  Cholesterol has a JOB in the body and anything less than 150-160 is nothing to brag about.  Just because high cholesterol is BAD does not mean low cholesterol is GOOD.  Balance is good.  I am not saying yours is too low I don't know what it is , so sorry to go on a rant lol but it's one of those topics that I am passionate about.

If it weren't for my weight  problem (which makes me think no one will listen to me) I swear I would have been a dietician/nutritionist hehe

PS I did not post links to studies because I do not have access to the files on which I saved this inormation.... if anyone does not beleive me they can do searches on-line with keywords like "low cholesterol associated with cancer" or whatnot.

Wow, thanks!

No studies needed, I trust you as a reliable source.

Thanks again for the info!

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/10 5:43 am - Hendersonville, TN
I have no idea, but I LOVE black bean salad. If you are using EVOO, it's the healthiest oil out there, I think. You will probably move on to something else soon if you are like me. I'm the same way. I will consume something for several days and then be done with it for a while.

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/10 5:45 am - AZ
On March 31, 2010 at 12:43 PM Pacific Time, reflectingmom wrote:
I have no idea, but I LOVE black bean salad. If you are using EVOO, it's the healthiest oil out there, I think. You will probably move on to something else soon if you are like me. I'm the same way. I will consume something for several days and then be done with it for a while.

HAHA!  That is exactly what I do!  I have a food of the week then i move on to something new. ;o)

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/28/10 2:16 am

The EVOO is a great oil.  You can use it a lot  and get away with it. 
Long time ago I lived in Greece - people there use EVOO in large qties. 
The only problem that I can think of if using too much is that once you have too much - the body will try to get rid of it any possible way and if you see acne on your face - or oily face - skin - you know you use too much of it.  Other wise - Enjoy 
IMO - make sure that you use organic - less pesticide / herbicide is the key.   

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active