Low Ferritin- what now??

Cara_Michelle
on 3/19/10 6:45 am
 I having been crying this afternoon b/c I found out that my ferritin levels are lower than they were 3 months ago even after boosting my oral iron up to 360mg.  My present ferritin level is at 4.5.  This all started when I got pregnant after surgury and halfway through the pregnancy I became anemic.  Ever since then (2.5 years ago) I haven't been able to orally boost my iron through food or supplements.  So my doctor told me today that I can't get an iron infusion because it would be an overdose for my iron serum levels.   I wouldn't say it was such a big deal but the week before and during my period, I am miserable and exhausted.  It has been debilitating. Help!  Does anybody have any ideas?  I'm thinking about starting that birth control pill that stops the period for several months at a time but I'm sure there are negative side effects to that, too.  
rbb825
on 3/20/10 2:16 pm - Suffern, NY
I was severely iron deficient many years ago and went on birth control pills to stop my period.  It was the best thing I ever did. It really helped.  I actually went 2 years without a period with the use of the Ortho Evra Patch.  I  just kept wearing them, didn't go the week without in order to get my period and did this continually.  My Gynocologist said if you don't want to get pregnant, there is no reason to get a period and if you are doing it for medical reasons, it is certainly substanciated.

OrthoEvra is great for us since it is a patch and it goes directly into our bloodstream, you don't have to worry about malabsorbtion.  The only time I have heard it doesn't work (and that is for birthcontrol) is if you are over 200 pounds.  It still works for stopping your period no matter how much you weigh.  There really are no side effects to doing this and it really helps your ferritin and iron levels.

I don't understand why you can't get an infusion though.  Can't they just give you a smaller dose as to not make your iron level not too high?  Obviously if your ferritin is that low, you drastically need iron.  You might want to go to the main board and post to Andrea U - she is very good with different types of OTC iron.  She can tell you different types of iron that will bring up your ferritin.

nascar24n48
on 8/2/10 12:28 pm
Just saw a commercial seasonal birth control pill of some type. It got me thinking that I would love to get on them to only have a period a few times a year.   Then the mind starts racing. Never really though about ceasing (or reducing) the period to increase iron/ferritin levels.  Had two kids, hubby has had the big V so no need for birth control. I just plain hate the period and wonder if it is contributing to my iron/ferritin levels are dropping. Thoughts? 

Preop 242  Height 5'4"  Current: 145 Want to get back to 135. ZERO Complications! ZERO Vomiting  (Chew, chew, chew)! ZERO Regrets!

Most Active