Can't...possibly...take...another...sip...

twilight_eclipse
on 3/15/10 11:15 am - Oklahoma City, OK
I'm exactly 1 week out and I'm not even close to meeting my protein or h20 goals. I wake up completely full and every sip I take makes me feel closer and closer to tossing my shake. This absolutely terrifies me. my drainage hole still hasn't closed up and I'm afraid to re-open any part that has healed, not to mention the pain. GOD the pain. I called my surgeon today and spoke with the nutritionist whose advice was to make sure to get all my protein. Well, thanks, that helped. I called to tell you I'm going to vomit if I take another sip of any liquid whatsoever.. I'm completely FULL. to the point of pain and feeling a back-up in my esophagus. Have more shakes and drink the protein snack drink sounds like a swell solution. I'm trying my hardest. Have any of you hit this wall and if so, how did you overcome it? Did it take long? I really want to get all my fluids and protein in. I'm scared of the damage I'm doing by not getting it all.
rolmar
on 3/20/10 12:54 am - Greenacres, FL

Hi, I just came across your concerns and it appears that no one has given you advise as of yet. (It's been a long time since I've been on this site) I never went on the Diet and Nutrition forum when I first had surgery. You may want to go to a different forum to get some answers. You should go on the Forum of the procedure you had. I got so much information from the "sleeve" forum before and after I had surgery. There are many people who have gone through or are going through exactly what you are but I don't think they look in this forum. 
Best of luck and hang in there. You will get better and look back at this time just as part of your journey to a new, healthier you. Mary Beth :-)  

AlwaysSinging
on 3/22/10 7:21 am - New Britain, CT
RNY on 09/15/08 with
I agree. Post on the main forum page.

Yes, I know the feeling. I was sooo sick in the beginning. Time is the only thing that makes it change. I sipped whenever I felt I could. I wasn't even close to getting in the recommended protein. My surgeon said not to sweat it. He, too, said in time it would happen. Every day got a little better...stress the little at first! I was so happy when I could sit without pain...drink without pain...eat without...you get the picture.

In the beginning, it seemed I couldn't tolerate heat. So broth was out of the question. I ate protein pops...let them melt in my mouth. I made protein pudding. The low calorie/no sugar chocolate fudge bars were my savior. My doc said I could have a couple a day. See if it's more tolerable to eat (by melting) than sipping. Also see if you prefer hot or cold, and act accordingly. You can sneak protein into a lot...you just need to keep trying to find what works.

This too shall pass...you will be ok!
aallen8787
on 3/26/10 1:19 am
I went through the same thing after my surgery. Everything made me nauseous (even water). I wasn't doing any protein shakes and barely drinking half of my water requirements. I even had be hospitalized for dehydration. I went back to my surgeon and he said I had stomal stenosis (where the opening of my stomach had shrunk so much that nothing was getting through). He did a little procedure by inserting a tiny balloon into the opening and then pumping it with air to enlarge the opening and it really helped.
Most Active