Any Vegan WLSers?

pippin
on 3/14/10 3:12 pm - Baltimore
I am considering going vegan.  I would like to work my way up to it, first getting off red meats and working my way to meat free and dairy free, as well as cutting out processed food and refined sugar.

I'm wondering if any other WLSers have gone, or are, vegan and what your experiences are.

Another challenge I have is my husband is not too gung-ho on the idea.  He loves cheese.  A LOT. He says he can give up red meat, but I know seafood, chicken, and cheese would be his greatest challenges.  I of course won't force him to make this change because it is his body and his choice, but I would hate for us to always be eating seperate meals.

Anyway, any stories?  Suggestions?

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

VSG on 4/7/2009.  Weight at surgery- 341 lbs.  Weight lost- 150 lbs. Weight regain- 70 lbs.  Current weight 260 lbs.  Seeking a revision to the DS.

jlmartin
on 3/15/10 6:00 am - Random Lake, WI
I'm flexitarian (over half my meals are meatless and I have beef maybe once a week) and I'm not keen on anyone suggesting a vegan diet.  If you look at traditional diets around the world, you will find plenty of vegetarian diets but no vegan diets.  I think there is a word for ancient societies that tried vegan diets: extinct.

Modern technology and industrial food will allow a person to have a vegan diet through Toferky, Soyrizo and such, but if the purpose of going vegan is to eat "real" food, why sabotage that with industrial foods that are some kind of food like substance?  AKA: why have Toferky when you could just as easily eat turkey?

The vegan diet makes a person at risk for vitamin and calcium deficiency.  Also, without a really keen understanding of macro nutrients in food (almost to the point of food prep becomming a hobby) you run the risk of becomming a "spaghetti vegetarian" (my word for someone who likes the idea of BEING vegetarian but doesn't grasp the work involved and ends up eating only spaghetti).  Also, if you're a WLS patient who needs protein supplements (like me) whey protein would be out the window as a vegan.

I think you should set ovo-lacto vegetarianism as a goal rather than strict vegan.
Most Active