Fruit sugar!!! Help

ginamd
on 1/20/10 10:28 am - NY
I am almost a year and a half out of roux-en-y surgery and I have been eating a lot of fruits lately, oranges, apples, raspberries, bananas... I have had no dumping issues with these foods, but I am also noticing that I can tolerate more regular sugars....I used to have dumping with too much regular sugar.   I liked knowing that I had that restriction and I don't like knowing that I have more leeway..   My question is, is the sugar in the fruit "raising" my tolerence for all sugars all together and keeping it at a level? 
Chrismc
on 1/20/10 11:06 am - Stanton, CA
RNY on 11/17/03 with
Hi. I can only speak for myself being 6 years out. I can tolerate most fruits now. I can also eat some sugar products, but they make my stomach uncomfortable and crampy which is what I want because it still is a deterrent for me to not eat it even this far out. I much prefer the fruit and can digest it well as I think fruit is better anyway.

So, to answer your question, I am sure that the natural sugar in fruit might be causing a craving for regular sugar, especially bananas, but your surgery should keep it in check with dumping. I went through a period of tolerating more sugar than I cared to, and then my low tolerance kicked in again, thank God. Hopefully you will find that will come back for you as well. It is very possible.
ginamd
on 1/20/10 12:00 pm - NY
Thanks for the response, I hope that my lower tolerance will kick back in, I definitely need the deterrent, I like to know that I am "in check", the restrictions are what keeps me on track and doing well :)
rainbowconnection
on 1/21/10 5:19 am - houston, TX
I have a rule.  If it's not healthy I don't eat it.  I don't try anything new since surgery that's not healthy.  If I am not supposed to be eating it then why go there.  If you figure out you can eat Ding Dongs what good does that do you.  I started slipping after a year out and figured out I can drink Coke ok.  Coke was my biggest thing I gave up prior to surgery.  So now it's a constant battle bc we have Coke at work and Coke at home and it happens to be all my hubby drinks.  I soooo wish I had never tried Coke after surgery.  I do ok avoiding it but I think about it alot. 

So my advice is to keep exploring healthy foods only.  I always keep sugar free pudding at work so when we have sweets or bdays I always have that to fall back on.  Oh and yogurt I can yogurt like there's no tomorrow, lol.
Most Active