Fiber Question

galindos03
on 1/14/10 2:24 am
IF you add powdered fiber to your food BEFORE cooking - do you lose any of the fiber during the cooking process?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for high fiber foods??

Thanks!!  
H.A.L.A B.
on 1/14/10 4:19 am
It depends on what I am cooking.  I used to add fiber to coffee, soups, etc. 
But be very careful - if you add fiber but do not drink enough water and do not have good BM - you may get really constipated.  I know I do sometimes.   Now I try to take enough magnesium every day to make sure I have a regular BM.  

On maintenance - I use a lot (relatively) high fiber foods.  If food have carbs but no fiber - then it is not worth for me to eat.  I add some flax meal to anything I cook - including meatloaf, HP banana bread, etc.   i sue flax meal in my yogurt. It not only has the fiber but it has the good fats and other stuff.  The best 0 if you can grind the flax yourself - if not - once you get it home - keep it in a freezer.  Do not consume more than 2 Tbs of raw flax seeds,or  flax meal per day. 

Other high fiber foods - veggies, fruits - esp. berries, protein bars (some Atkins are really high in fiber), flat-outs, etc. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

galindos03
on 1/14/10 4:36 am
Well that makes me feel a bit better - I must be doing pretty good b/c Ive been doing all that!! 

I make a "pizza" out of the "lite italian" flat outs, and have 1/2 for lunch and 1/2 for dinner (or snack), I add flax to everything as well.  

I drink approx 4-5 bottles of water per day.  (u think that is enough?)

I add the Crystal Light 'hunger control' to it b/c it tastes GREAT and has 5g Fiber & Protein!

But I usually only have a BM once every other day.  (that is not enough) and Im always adding fiber, and flax, activia yogurt, etc.   ?????

I guess my question is - does high heat reduce the fiber content in food?

thanks so much!  
H.A.L.A B.
on 1/14/10 4:52 am
I do not belive that heat reduces the fiber content.   But - high heat shall not be used when using flax.   I choose to add flax to my soups.  I put up to a Tbs of flax meal in a bowl, add thick soup, mix togethr, wait 5 min and enjoy. 
Try adding magnesium as a suplement to your diet.  I think I post about Mg in my blog.  I have been using Mg even before WLS. Before WLS I used 800 mg  -now I have to use up to 1200 per day. 

4-5 bottles of water - is that up to 80 oz? It sounds right.

When backing  things with flax - I use only 350 F.  The inside never gets that hot.  
Next week remaind me to send you a fantastic HP HF, flourless Banana/pumpkin bread recipe...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active