use of protein after wls

stumorr
on 1/6/10 1:37 am - east lansing, MI
I was told to continue to drink protein for the rest of my life after wls.  My daughter is considering surgery and her Doctor told her to use a protein supplement for 6 months after surgery.  After that she would receive sufficient protein out of her food.  What seems to be the correct answer?
Thanks,
H.A.L.A B.
on 1/11/10 9:07 pm
That may depends on how many proteins she will be able to eat and her lab results. 
Some days - I just do not feel like eating.  And drinking the protein drink is an easy way to get my proteins in.  I like them.  It is like any other food.  Some people do not like it - and once they are able to eat more - they do not do any shakes.  The shakes are a very convenient way for me to get my breakfast, or just yummy drink... on days that I know I am low in prot and cal...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kellyanne
on 1/12/10 5:37 am - Lumberton, NJ
It all depends on what she actually eats after six months.  I for one could even 7 years out probably should be drinking a protein skake some days.  Some days I just don't  get it all in.  I suffer for it too.  I get iron deficiency anemia and I have to be pretty more vigilnt with my nutrition.  You also didn't mention how old you daughter is.  Does she plan to give birth to children?  If so she has to be even more concerned about her nutrition after WLS.  Make sure she stays in touch with a dietitian if she has WLS.  In the end, the dietitians are usually more up to date with this information than the docs are.
Most Active