Calcium citrate in capsule form?

gadgetlady
on 12/24/09 8:32 am
I just found some calcium citrate in capsule form at http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?ss=1&Ntk=products&x=6&y=4&Ntt=calcium%20citrate.  Prior to this I had never seen it in anything but chewable form, and I have yet to find something that's even remotely paletable.  I HATE taking my calcium every day, but I could easily swallow a few extra pills every day.

Anyone have any input on whether the capsules are as beneficial as the chewables?

After my lap band failure, I'm loving my RNY!

1 Cor 4:7 - What do you have that you did not receive?
wendy_fou
on 12/24/09 9:40 am - AR
Capsules are the worst choice for us.  The actual "capsule" acts as a coating and that coating takes time to break down before the actual insides of whatever is in the capsule are available to us.  So no, they are not a beneficial as chewables.

(I don't do chewables either - GROSS!  I do regular Citracal Plus tablets/pills.) 
gadgetlady
on 12/24/09 11:58 am, edited 12/24/09 11:58 am
I thought capsules (i.e. gelatin surrounding the powdered insides) were better than tablets and/or pills.  Unless I'm getting my terms wrong?  Doesn't the gelatin dissolve very quickly?

The actigall that my dr prescribed is a gelatin capsule.

After my lap band failure, I'm loving my RNY!

1 Cor 4:7 - What do you have that you did not receive?
wendy_fou
on 12/24/09 12:16 pm - AR
ANY kind of coating (including capsule "hulls") isn't good.  Coated tablets/pills are no better.

We need chewables or non-coated tablets/pills. 
calico
on 1/22/10 11:32 pm
I also had a very hard time finding a calcium citrate product that I could tolerate.  I finally found a company that puts out a liquid calcium supplement that has a pleasant taste.  Almost a tropical
taste. Go to www.americanlongevity.com.  It is listed under the  majestic earth column.  There are 2 products.  The one I bought is Osteo-Fx.  It has the calcium citrate I was told we had to have.  One ounce has 1200mg of calcium. It also has magnesium, zinc and some vit D. 
I thought at first it was a little pricey, but I am still on the first bottle. At one ounce a day a bottle will last over a month.  When you pull up the product it will show all the ingredients for each product.  I hope this helps.  Good luck!
wondering
on 3/6/10 7:45 am - Canada
 I use Citracal with Vitamin D and Magnesium.  Each pill contains 250mg calcium citrate.  Our bodies can only absorb 500 mg at a time, so I take 2 every two hours during the afternoon in order to get in 1500 mg.
L.

jemaro
on 4/2/10 3:27 pm - Keaau, HI
i could NOT handle the taste, texture, and just EVERYTHING of my calcium lozenges/chews. nothing i did to it would help. to the point of me practically crying when it came time for me to take it. luckily though, when i went to my post-op i asked the doctor what other kinds of calcium supps i could take and this is what i take now. it's bariatric advantage calcium crystals. 2 scoops per serving/day. and THATS it. most importantly for me...UNFLAVORED. i have not had a problem with my calcium since. its $14 for a 60 count supply, and per serving thats a little more than what i paid for my lozenges but i dont care. for my piece of mind. you can go to bariatricadvantage.com and check it out. this one also comes w/ vitamin D, which we need as well.

Nutrient Amount %DV
Calcium (as Lactate-Gluconate) 600 mg 60%
Calories 15

Total Carbohydrate 4 g 1%
Sugars 0 g
Sugar Alcohol 0 g
Vitamin K 0 mcg 0%
Vitamin D3 500 IU 125%
Magnesium (from Magnesium Oxide USP) 0 mg 0%
Sodium 0 mg 0%

Serving = Two Level Scoops 5g
Daily Dose = 2 servings