No liquids with my meals!!!

nursedeby
on 10/31/09 12:27 pm

Hi, I am  just starting on my journey and the biggest concern I have is not being able to have a drink with my meals. I am planning on having the lap band surgery and I know that you can not drin****il an hour or more after a meal. Since I know this, I have been trying to do that now, pre-banding, but I am having a hard time. I have always drank a lot with my meals, of course I guess that's because I eat a lot at a meal . Will it get easier when I'm banded? Will I get so full with what I'm allowed to eat that I won't want anything to drink? Any advice appreciated!

paulsdottir
on 10/31/09 2:29 pm, edited 10/31/09 2:31 pm
Hi,
Yes, it will get easier once you have the band.  I, too, was worried about it.  But since you have to concentrate on the size of your food bites and CHEW, CHEW, you will find that the hour goes by quickly.    Actually, my doctor only recommends 1/2 hour before and 1/2 hour after.  But I find that I can easily make it the hour now - 3 months since lapband surgery and feeling great!!!  lost 25 pounds.

You may not experience the fullness until you reach the right adjustment for your body.  I was just filled to 6 cc's and am amazed at the difference from 5 to 6 cc's in the band.  My friend, on the other hand, experiences fullness at 4.5 cc's of saline in her band...just the difference in our bodies. 
Until you get to the right fill level, you may not feel that complete fullness and will be able to eat more than the recommended amount of food.  Just make sure you eat slowly and exercise and stay away from the sweets and you will still see results!   You'll know when you've reached the right adjustment!

My best post surgery advice is DON'T blend or shake up any protein drinks - ONLY stir them for 1-3 weeks.    I experienced terrible gas pains from blending a protein drink in a blender - creates too much fizz.  Most of the sights neglect to tell you about the gas pains you will experience.   They aren't pleasant - but are tolerable.   Also, you may have to sleep in an easy chair for 1-2 days after surgery.  I couldn't lie flat in bed until day 3 - too uncomfortable. 
All IS WORTH It IN THE END!!!    Just enjoy the ride!  You will see results!  
Good luck!
Paulsdottir
Most Active