Liquid Protein - Newbie Question

Krysti926
on 10/13/09 9:27 am
 Hello everyone... I'm pre-surgery, but have begun to compile samples of protein powders for when I have to do Protein.  I am not testing them as of yet as I understand my tastes may very well change after my surgery so what I find that I like now I may not like when I need it!

Anyway, I just received my package of samples from nettrition.com and in the box of samples, there is this tube called New Whey Liquid Protein.  It says it is Blue Raspberry flavored.  It contains 3.1 fl oz of liquid which is one serving.  The breakdown is as follows:

Calories 176                             Fat Cal. 0
Total Fat 0g
   Sat. Fat 0g
   Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0g
Sodium 64mg
Potassium 31mg
Total Carbs 2g
PROTEIN 42g

Of course I'm excited because I'm thinking wow, that would surely help getting in those 60 to 80 grams of protein every day.  But then I got to thinking that I read somewhere that I need to be careful and not use the protein drinks for weight lifters or something to that effect.

My question... if I can handle the taste of this, is this okay?

Thanks!

Kristina

poet_kelly
on 10/14/09 9:23 am - OH
New Whey is made from collagen protein, which is an incomplete protein.  It does not contain all of the amino acids we need.  It is also not absorbed well at all.  You won't really get 42 grams of protein from it because you won't absorb much of it.  It's a waste of money.

Kelly
Krysti926
on 10/14/09 9:57 am
 Ah ha, figured it was too good to be true!  Thanks!!!

Kristina
wendy_fou
on 10/25/09 12:38 pm - AR
The other poster is correct in that most liquid proteins (shots/bullets) are collagen protein.  However, as long as you are eating some meat proteins in your diet, you will get all the essential amino acids available from "complete" protein.  (Note: ANY incomplete protein sources can be paired with complete protein sources to make your overall diet complete.)

There has been much ado about the bioavailability of collagen protein.  However, if you actually do extensive research on collagen proteins, that is the protein in much of the food that many of us eat every day.  (Much of the protein in boxed and/or canned foods like soups, chili, etc ARE collagen proteins.) 

New Whey Liquid protein was the ONLY protein I could tolerate immediately post-op.  (I mixed it with 16 ounces of like-flavored crystal light and drank 1/2 of it in the morning and the other 1/2 in the afternoon.)  My protein levels always stayed high. 

I'm not in any way saying they are the best source of protein - EVERYONE knows that the best is whey.  But, it is definately an acceptable option - especially if you can't tolerate the powders (which I couldn't - especially early out when I stayed so nausiated). 

Good luck!

Wen
Most Active