VERY IMPORTANT VITAMIN A INFO!!!

Amanda P.
on 9/18/09 9:52 am - Wa
Hello Everyone

I am not going to make a long story short because I want everyone to know how important vitamin A is along with all our other nutritional needs!! so Her goes...

I am 5 yrs post-op today!! Started at 330lb am now 170lb (happy dance) But anyway, About a year ago, I had to start wearing reading glasses. I chalk it up to " Damn, Im getting old" But a few months later I needed stronger reading glasses. A few months  after that, the strongest non-presciptive reading glasses you can buy, didnt even work. So I of course head straight to the optometrist for an eye exam. The results were... Im legally blind BUT, they could find absolutly NOTHING wrong with any part of my eyeballs. They sent me to have a CAT scan, and again NOTHING wrong. I was then sent to an opthomologist for every test under the sun and another CAT scan and again they found NOTHING!! I baffled everyone, there was nothing they could do to help me, and didnt know if I was going to go blind. I went to my regular Dr and had him check me out , I brought up my bypass surgery and asd specifically, could I be lacking in protien or vitamins for this to happen, he said no. I trusted him and didnt even think to go to my surgeon. Well after a couple months of crying with my family and believing that I am going to go blind and with 3 kids at home, My wonderful brother found on the web "gastic bypass and blindness"  Sure enough Vitamin A defcientcy can cause blindness if untreated. BUT if treated, vision can be restored with in a yr!! I went back to my reg.Dr and made him test me, vitamin A level was 0 didnt even register, nothing there to mesure. So needless to say  I was on high doses of vitamin. Now a year later, my vision went from 20/70 to 20/30, while yes I do have to wear glasses IM NOT going to go blind, thanks to my baby brother who found that web article.. This is not something that happens here in the USA this is found in 3rd world countries, so I dont blame any of the 3 Dr's who couldnt figure it out. BUT I DEFINATLY egucated them, gave them copies of the article and asked them to please share that with every Dr you know. They all said they would and thanked me for informing them on it...they were in no way offended by it, wich I thought was very humbling of them!!........This ordeal was more terrifying to me than when I was being wheeled in for surgery!!  So please please PLEASE, take those vitamins, protien and water and have lab work done regularly!!

I wish you all the best where ever you at in this wonderful journey!!  Even having gone thru that I would without a doubt,, not go back on my choise to have surgery.
Stay well, healthy, and much happiness and blessings to you all!!
poet_kelly
on 9/19/09 1:58 am - OH
Wow!  I'm glad you got it figured out and your eyesight is improving.  Were you not getting regular labs drawn?

Kelly
Most Active