Calcium Citrate ??

Michele W.
on 9/16/09 8:01 am - St. Clair, MI
I'm supposed to take 3,000mg of calcium citrate daily. I'm having a heck of a time finding it without having to take 12 pills a day. Any suggestions?
berts4
on 9/17/09 12:59 am - Rock City, IL
I can't help lower the number of pills per day, but I CAN tell you what I do.

I take 2000 mg per day.  I get the NSI brand of Calcium Citrate (with D3 and Magnesium) in chewable form from Vitacost (NSI is their house brand).
Since we can only absorb 500 mg at a time, I chew 2 wafers every 2 hours between 8 am and 2 pm.  It is almost like a treat.  You could just add the 5th set at 4 pm.
They have other brands of chewable calcium citrate, but they are now too sweet tasting for me since I got used to the taste of these.  I know that "Kal" makes a chewable, but can't remember the others.

Hope this helps.........

Tell someone that you love them!
Dawn
253/223/167/127
HW/SW/CW/GW

poet_kelly
on 9/17/09 2:27 pm, edited 9/17/09 2:28 pm - OH
3000 mg?  Why so much?  Is that the amount usually recommended with DS?

I'll tell you how I get mine.  I had RNY, and the recommendation is only for 1500 - 2000mg.  I use this vitamin stuff from Celebrate called ENS.  It's like a drink mix.  You mix it with 8 ounces of water and it tastes like grape Koolaid.  It's a multivitamin plus 500 mg calcium, and you're supposed to drink two a day.  So that's 1000 mg.  

For my other 500 mg, I use this stuff called Upcal D.  It's 500 mg calcium citrate plus some vitamin D.  It's a powder and you can add it to any drink.  It has no taste.  I usually dump it in my protein shake.

I think Celebrate does make some chewable calcium that are 500 mg each, if you wanted to try that.  That would only be 6 a day instead of 12.

Kelly
Michele W.
on 9/17/09 11:54 pm - St. Clair, MI
Thanks Kelly. I had DS, not RNY, so maybe that's why so much? Or maybe it's just my surgeon, idk.
cobolblue
on 9/28/09 1:44 am
I use Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrate Lozenges - in Cinnamon - they offer 400 a tablet. Kinda chalky, but I like the cinnamon, leaves me with freash breath ;-)

I used to take pills but it made my stomach upset.
Livewell
on 10/3/09 8:26 pm, edited 10/3/09 8:30 pm - Chatham, NJ
Michele,

Why do you have to take the citrate form vs. the carbonate form?  You get more elemental calcium per dose in the carbonate (therefore far less "pills") and the only difference is that you have to take it with a meal rather than by itself (since it does not have acid on its own for absorption and relies on your stomach acid for that).  Just curious.

ETA:  Just realized that this may have something to do with the type of surgery that you had and how you absorb different vitamins.  Still, I would be curious to learn from you.  Thanks!

Michele W.
on 10/4/09 3:40 am - St. Clair, MI
Citrate is what my doctor says to take. It probably is because I had DS.
I found some pills - they are big, but I only have to take 6 instead of 12.
Krysti926
on 10/9/09 3:38 am
I have read on here and also heard at my local support group meeting that you can get it in pettits at WalMart.  You might want to check that out.  I'm still pre-surgery so I haven't gotten my vitamin list yet.  I go for my group session on 11/17, see the NUT. on 11/19 and then the social worker on 11/23.

Kristina
(deactivated member)
on 10/11/09 12:29 pm
Neither DS nor RNY absorb the carbonate form correctly, neither of us has the amnount of acid needed.  Carbonate needs a LOT of stomach acid.  Calcium Carbonate can also cause kidney stones if not properly absorbed.

Vitalady, a 9 year Vet of distal RNY almost beats her head against the wall when she hears about any of us taking the carbonate.  Both her and her husband had RNY and are VERY knowlegable re: vitamins that work.  I believe I have 2 studies:

§  If you're prone to calcium stones, don't reduce your intake of calcium-rich foods (but stop taking calcium carbonate supplements). Instead, cut back on foods high in oxalates, such as asparagus, berries, chocolate, coffee, tea, wheat bran, and cooked spinach. In addition, a low-salt diet will keep sodium from adding more calcium to your urine. Reduce portions of meat and fish to protect against uric acid stones, and boost your fiber intake. And while you're rethinking your diet, take a walk: Inactivity can cause your bones to release extra calcium.

§  Magnesium and vitamin B6 deficiencies have been linked to kidney stones. Magnesium supplements may decrease the size of an existing stone as well as prevent future ones, says Group, while extra vitamin [B.sub.6] taken with magnesium helps reduce oxalate production.

I don't have the references, but I think these were from NIH.

Michele

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/09 12:39 pm
Michele,

They are having a BOGO at Swanson's online.  A Naturopathic Physician in Oregon told me that Swansons are one of the better manufacturers and have 3rd party reviews done on their products.

Anyway 2 caps = 630mg elemental, so I take 8 per day. They are large but the only ones I know of that contain good citrate and are smaller are the Citrical Petites, although not as much calcium.  The Walmart brand is probably cheaper, but that brand gives me massive gas (must be the fillers that don't agree w/me) others can take them fine w/ no problems.

I screwed up not reading labels correctly a whilke back so I am finishing off a brand that I have to take 20 per day to get 3000mg of elemental calciium... Crap!!I know better!!!

HTH,
Michele
Most Active