Has anyone tried soda 5 weeks post op

Mtlott
on 9/9/09 10:46 am
I was wondering if anyone has tried soda. I was a big soda drinker before surgery and although i havent tried it, i was wondering if any has and what results they experienced.
lizzybear
on 9/10/09 11:50 am - Olympia, WA
Nope - doc told me to never have carbonation again and I haven't.  I have a couple RNY friends who drink soda, but they let it sit until it gets all warm and the fizz dies out of it.  Yuck!  They told me they tried it like normal first, but it bubbled up so much in their pouches that they thought it would explode, so never tried it that way again.

Highest 323 / Surgery Day 289 / Current 165 - RNY 10-27-07, Hit Goal 08-18-08. Tummy tuck 10-28-09 - UW Plastic Surgery Residency Ctr, Breast/Arm Lift w/Dr. Sepehr Egrari in Bellevue, WA on 5-22-13!

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance.  Unknown

Mslayd02 aka Mrs.
Big_Cle

on 9/11/09 9:20 am - Durham, NC
I am a a year and half out and still havent had soda, my Dr told me same thing, to never have soda again.

Waterwench
on 9/12/09 6:00 am - portland, OR
Don't do it! It will make your pouch HURT and it might even cause you to vomit, which is not desirable.

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

prisongirl
on 9/12/09 1:49 pm
While I wouldn't recommend drinking soda only five weeks post-op, my husband drinks soda and beer just fine. I don't know how far post-op he was before trying it though. There are others where I work that also drink diet soda. My husband has maintained his goal weight for over a year and a half. I don't know if he is just a freak of nature or if this is the norm. I don't think that I could live the rest of my life with ou another soda EVER. Not five weeks out though.
Becci    
poet_kelly
on 9/12/09 2:56 pm - OH
I was told no soda ever, as the carbonation can stretch your pouch.  Also, it can cause painful gas.  I was also told no caffeine, but of course there is caffeine free soda.  Still, I recommend you avoid it due to the carbonation.  Unless you want to let it sit out until it gets flat.  Which I think is icky.

Kelly
Candace Sparkles
on 11/7/09 10:56 am
I too was a big soda drinker pre-op. My doc told me not to have any for 3-6 months post op. She said that the carbonation expands in out belly and if we drink it we run the risk of damaging our newly formed stomach. For you RNY patients I would assume never again would be pretty accurate as you'll always have a staple line. Sorry not good news, but it certainly does make it easier to stay away from, eh?

My DS

100% EWL achieved!

sw 291/cw 134/gw 145 (Resetting goal to 135!) (resetting yet again to 120!)

sardeb
on 12/8/09 11:37 pm, edited 12/8/09 11:42 pm - Weston, FL
I too was a big soda drinker pre op.  My doctor told me I would never be able to drink it again.  I have never tried.  Dont try to beat the system, your results wont be the same.  You have to make some sacrifices to get the results.  Follow what they say to the letter and you will be successful.  Remember you are given a new opportunity to do the right things now, obviously the ways before WLS didnt work!

Debbie
302 / 135 / 112
Preop /  goal /  Current

smoore_911
on 1/26/10 7:01 pm - Lexington, NC
I know this post comes a bit late, but maybe it will still give you along with others some useful information.

I too, like the others was advised NOT to drink soda or any active fizzy drink due to carbonation. - however....   if you like SLUSHIES (the frozen slushies the slushie you SEE the auger in the machine NOT ICEE'S - in most convenant stores / gas stations) those are your regular sodas, Mt Dew, Dr Pepper, Pepsi, Orange etc... they are FLAT - FIZZY is DEAD in them and they don't pose a problem with the carbonations and you won't miss the fizz...    :-)~  --- understand by using those sodas from the machines it WILL slow down your weight loss due to HIGH CALORIES ~ WOW!!!

*** FOOD STUCK IN POUCH ***  - IF you get a feeling of having food stuck in your new pouch... the 1st thing the Dr's assistant advised me to do was DRINK A FEW SIPS of soda to bubble out or dislodge the stuck food....

Hope this helps even though it is a few months out now and that you are doing well with your procedure.

Chef_911 

cindycsw
on 1/30/10 10:39 am - NY
RNY on 12/07/09 with
Also recommended not to drink soda.  Pre-surgery I drank about 8-9 cans of diet-pepsi a day.  Altho I get cravings I am following my doc's advice.  I have been through enough BS with my old eating habits; I vowed to improve my eating habits after surgery.  Soda has no nutritional value...so I am staying away from it.
Cindy    
Most Active