Soy Protein vs. Protein

NDPNDNT
on 9/5/09 7:23 am - Canada
Hi Guys,

This is my first time posting to this message board, so please forgive me if this is not the right place for this question.

However I wanted to know what is the difference between Soy Protein & just Protein when it comes to post-surgery.  So I require 75g of protein per day, if I have 75g of SOY PROTEIN, is that considered the same thing?

Please let me know & thanks in advance,
Ava
poet_kelly
on 9/12/09 2:54 pm - OH
Yes, it's still protein, whether it comes from meat, dairy, soy, etc.

Kelly
stitch0102
on 10/5/09 5:56 am - Jersey Shore, PA
Soy used to get a bad rap among athletes due to the "estrogen" it supposedly contained.  That has kind of been de-bunked.  Soy protein is safe and beneficial.  As to using soy for 100% of your needs, it is better to get a balance from natural sources as well as a mix of supplements such as whey, soy, milk, and egg.

September 2006...415 lbs.
April 12, 2007...surgery...285 lbs.    Goal...210     Current...181

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/09 12:50 pm
Hi Ava!

The previous poster is correct 75gms of complete protein is 75gms.  However some proteins are more bio-available which means we absorb them better.  Soy is good and a LOT of people use them.  Go by your labs.  If your albumin and pre-albumin start trending low then add an extra shake.

They most bio-available source of protein shakes is whey protein ISOLATE, which I could not take for about a year..Whey & lactose intolerance that has since abated.  I used nothing but soy for the first year.

I know I had a different surgery than you, but protein bio-availability does not discriminate...lol

HTH,
Michele
tammypeden
on 5/14/10 10:35 am

Michele,

I see in your post that you mentioned you used soy protien for the first year post surgery. I have a milk allergy and can not use whey protien. I had RNY on 10/13/2009 and I have a hard time getting in all of my protien each day. I have used soy protien from GNC. My biggest problem is I always feel nausious after I drink one and the taste is not all that great, it has some kind of aftertaste. What brand did you use while on soy protien?

Thanks
Tammy

Most Active