Not Absorbing Vitamins

Dreema A.
on 9/5/09 12:17 pm - Palm Coast, FL
  I have done so well.  Had Surgery Nov, 2008 and have lost 150 pounds.  Now, I find myself tired, weak and off balance.  The doctor told me I am not absorbing my vitamins.  I take them exactly as directed.  I am taking so many as he has increased them.  Now, he has taken more blood test and I will get the results next week.  I fly out of town Thursday, to stay with a friend during a surgery.  I am so tired, I am in hopes I have all the energy I need.   Has anyone had this problem?  Any information would be appreciated.

Dreema
Pam T.
on 9/14/09 12:12 am - Saginaw, MI
Dreema -

Until you know what your blood results say, you can't know what's causing the fatigue.  Typically it could be iron deficiency or B12.  Or even lack of calorie intake if you're not eating enough. 

Of course we malabsorb vitamins.  That's the nature of the surgery.  Here's a diagram that shows exactly which micronutrients (vitamins/minerals) are no longer absorbed because their spot-of-absorption is now bypassed. 

First - make sure that your doctor ordered all the right labs. Here's a list of what we need to have drawn (this should equal about 10-13 vials of blood).  Also on that link is a spreadsheet you can download so you can keep track of your own lab results.  By seeing all of your lab levels side by side over time you are able to spot any downward trends that need to be fixed before they become deficiencies.

Then, make sure you're taking at least the minimum required vitamins.  The ASMBS recommends the following as a base:  (BTW - make sure your doctor has a copy of this ASMBS report, this is essential to your overall healthcare.)

2 Adult Multi-Vitamins
1500-2000mg calcium citrate (in addition to anythig we get from food)
B12 - either sublingual or injection
B-50 complex
Iron

Also most of us are Vitamin D deficient, so make sure your'e getting enough of this too.

Good luck
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active