I cried a lot yesterday

LynneO
on 8/30/09 7:55 pm - Bryantown, MD
I had my RYN on Thursday and came home Saturday night.  The surgery went well.  They sent me home and told me to have 2-3 ounces of fluid per hour and to get in my 60-80 ounces of protein.  How the heck am I supposed to do that?  Yesterday (my first day home) I had some of a protein shake (yuck), some Isopure (Grape Frost not bad), s/f jello and Crystal Light.  I'm not big on the clear broth and when I add the unflavored protein powder it changes it a bit.  I'm very frustrated because I don't know what to do.  So if anyone has any advice...please help me (look I'm crying again).  Thank you!
Waterwench
on 8/31/09 1:20 am - portland, OR
I know it can be frustrating, but just do the best you can and know there's a whole group of people who sympathize and know what you're going through!

I always hated protein shakes, but do a bit of experimenting to find out which one tastes the least nasty to you. Get a GOOD blender, and be prepared to sip, sip, sip throughout the day.

It's 60-80 grams of protein, which is only about 2 to 3 ounces. You can do it! I used to mix 8 ounces of skim milk with 2 scoops of the protein powder, usually in vanilla flavor. That would make about 54 grams of protein, with half the volume of a regular protein shake. I sipped it cold, and it would go down slow and steady. Try not to think about the flavor.

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

Waterwench
on 8/31/09 1:21 am - portland, OR
I know it can be frustrating, but just do the best you can and know there's a whole group of people who sympathize and know what you're going through!I always hated protein shakes, but do a bit of experimenting to find out which one tastes the least nasty to you. Get a GOOD blender, and be prepared to sip, sip, sip throughout the day.It's 60-80 grams of protein, which is only about 2 to 3 ounces. You can do it! I used to mix 8 ounces of skim milk with 2 scoops of the protein powder, usually in vanilla flavor. That would make about 54 grams of protein, with half the volume of a regular protein shake. I sipped it cold, and it would go down slow and steady. Try not to think about the flavor.

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

prisongirl
on 9/4/09 8:42 am
I know it's hard. I just had surgery on August 24th. I have gotten fed up with the protein shakes. I can't seem to stomch them anymore. I was afraid that if I tried it one more time that I was going to vomit. Well I went to my blender. I made a great smoothie. I added frozen fruit as long as it didn't have a bunch of seeds. I also put in yogurt, apple juice and a lot of protein powder. Freeze some bananas or just use them fresh. I love them frozen. All of the other flavors seems to mask the protein. It also feels like a treat since it cold, sweet and yummy.

Don't give up. I have shed some tears of my own. Especially when the family is eating a wonderful spaghetti dinner with homemade french bread. I didn't think I could take it. I am slowly working in some pureed foods even though it's a few days before I am suppose to. This is what's keeping me sane. That first scrambled egg I had was the best egg I have ever tasted. You will make it and you will be so happy you did. I hope everything works out for you.
Becci    
Most Active