how not to eat all day????

CeciliaM
on 8/29/09 12:55 am - Newark, DE
i don't think this is a depression situation.  i think this is more like a real life situation.

i am unemployed.
I have an empty nest.  no partner in life.
I am almost out of $$.

eating incorrect is cheaper than eating healthy
any advise on how/what to cook, structure eating given my current restriction $$ and only me. 

i am using this time to clean my house.  garden as much as possible.
i am on line most of the day.  

i find it easy to eat since . . . . . .

need to whine. 
thanks

CeciliaM
10cm band
Waterwench
on 8/31/09 1:36 am - portland, OR
I know it's cheaper financially to buy crap, but don't give in. It costs WAY more in terms of eventual healthcare costs and the possibility of reducing your lifespan. Plus, compulsive overeating makes us feel even MORE out-of-control and ashamed of our behavior, which is the last thing any of us needs right now!

I'm out of work right now, too. 4 months unemployed. It SUCKS!!

But, I fill my days with as much non-eating as I can. I got a scholarship to my local community center gym, so I can work out there and take my boys swimming as much as they like.  I started walk/running 3 months ago, now I am up to actual running and I love the results. I feel healthy.

I can get a bag of salad mix for $2.50, which is 2 meals. Add a handful of grape tomatoes and half a cucumber, and you have a very healthy feast. That is pretty cheap, actually!

Finally, when I get super-depressed about my prospects, I have gone to Joann's or Michael's and bought some of the sale yarn for knitting or crochet projects. Lily kitchen cotton is $1.79 per skein, and you usually need 2 for a mesh shopping bag or a kitchen towel, still under $4 cost. Lion Brand Homespun is 2 for $9, with plenty of yarn to make a shawl out of 2 skeins.

Sister, I totally recommend these crafts as a way to ignore food and focus on something productive!! You can even make blankets, booties or beanie hats for the local hospital, or prayer shawls for your church community members who are ill and alone. It really helps to feel like you are doing good for another human being, believe me!

If you think you are too old to learn to knit, ignore that thought because it is simply not true! I know plenty of ladies who have taken it up in their 50's and 60's from books and DVDs they got at the library.

"Fall down 7 times--STAND UP 8!"

CeciliaM
on 8/31/09 11:15 pm - Newark, DE
thank you.
i volunteer at the local library and SPCA to keep me busy.  These are things i like to do books and dogs. so i think this is good. 
with summer gardens fresh is still available. 
i agree one is never to learn anything.
thanks
CeciliaM
10cm band
meg01968
on 8/31/09 8:12 am
VSG on 08/26/08 with
I'm sorry for your struggles. I would take this time without work to turn inward and try to find peace. The library is free. I would check out books like The Mastery of Love (about self-love), The Power of Positive Thinking, etc.

In DE you have lots of roadside stands with fresh fruits and veggies. Probably cheaper than in the stores. Dried beans and lentils are very cheap and very filling.

Keep busy. Don't sit inside all the time. The weather is turning cooler, very nice. Come to OH for support.

Keep your eyes open.... the newspaper, the pennysaver, craigslist... looking around town too... for employment opportunities.

Have you thought of doing childcare? I've known folks that do only before school and after school care and make good money doing it. I did childcare for 2 years.

Good luck to you!

Meg

Goal weight reached ~ without malabsorption!!! Yipee.....
CeciliaM
on 8/31/09 11:18 pm - Newark, DE
thanks for the reply.

i have fresh vegtables thanks to my vegtable garden.

i have looked into doggie care since i am really into dogs.  i try to walk dogs for others.  not much money but the company is good.  good exercise.  meet the neighbors too.

thanks
CeciliaM
10cm band
meg01968
on 9/1/09 3:03 am
VSG on 08/26/08 with
I know someone who's best friend does this in the Tampa Fla area full time and pays her mortgage doing it!! Now the folks in Fla may be willing to spend more money on it, but if you want me to get you any detailed info, I would be happy to!

Meg

Goal weight reached ~ without malabsorption!!! Yipee.....
Most Active