Balanced diet

Farmerswife
on 8/18/09 1:01 pm
Trying to think of a way to say this so it comes out right...

Anyone else not more concerned with weight and just want to be healthy?

I ask because I have been looking around here and a few other websites and it seems ALOT of people post-op and even years out are really obsessed with extreme low carb to stay down to a certain goal weight.  I am all for thin healthy bodies, but does it really have to be so extreme? 

My surgeon and NUT both feel whole grains should be a part of your diet even from the start (after liquid diet) and I whole heartedly agree.   Maybe I will find I can't tolerate some, but  I will cross that bridge when I get there.  I don't want to live on protein shakes and STILL battle the carb war the rest of my life. 

Is there anyone out there that is happy with their health, weight and life that eats a balanced diet not leaving out any of the important stuff?

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/20/09 6:53 am
As a carb addict - I can tolerate small amount of carbs. Any more than that - and i get the cravings, hunger, etc.  I tried eating carbs - but then my problems from pre op came back, together with reactive hypoglycemia.  not fun at all. 

I guess my body can not handle too many carbs. 
There are some that say that whole grains are bad for us. That many people have  - developed grains intolerance - that is why they we got fat in a first place. 

Being post op - I know that once I introduced whole grains - I started getting some unpleasant symptoms. So now - I try to limit them, and get my carbs from vegetables, fruits, nuts, etc.  All in moderation. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

meg01968
on 9/1/09 10:12 am
VSG on 08/26/08 with
This is a journey of attaining health for me.. not just losing weight.

So, yes... I eat whole grains, vegetables, fruit. I DO try to stay away from simple carbs though.. white flour, sugar, etc. During the weight loss phase I tried to take in about 50% of my calories from protein (about 25% carbs and 25% fat).

I'm actually still losing weight and have increased my carb intake to about 45%.

I stay away from chips and sweets because they would just lead to hunger, increased calories and binging on junk.

Goal weight reached ~ without malabsorption!!! Yipee.....
Livewell
on 10/3/09 8:39 pm - Chatham, NJ
I completely agree with your surgeon and NUT.  We need to live healthy, balanced lives.  That includes having meals that include all food groups and exercising regularly.  I get so frustrated when I read about folks who focus so much on protein that they forget that we need fruit, veggies, and whole grains to maintain that healthy balance.  You definitely have the right outlook for long-term success.

ericia S.
on 11/18/09 2:08 am - stockton, CA
hello i just have to reply i am only 9 months out so maybe i am doing this diet all wrong, but i believe low carb is the wrong way to go if you workout alot. i was doing low carb 40carbs or under a day and when i was working out i felt so tried. i am doing whole grain carbs and complex carb every now in then simple carbs, but to have a health body long term you must eat the right way, i am still losing weight. you can lose weight and eat carbs its life. well i wish you the best on your journey,
Heaviest 385 / Starting 382/Pre op 304/ Current 203/My Goal 170

i gained 43lbs after 2 1/2 year out by eating poarly but now i am on a whole new journey to lose the weight plus more for good!

Most Active