Suggestions for someone on a full liquid diet

Kristy A.
on 8/5/09 12:32 pm - Ray City, GA
Hi all,

I just had my surgery 1 week ago.  The good news is that I've lost 11 lbs since then, and at first the liquid diet was no big b/c for a few days, I didn't want to eat.  But now I'm a week out, and I'm feeling hungry.  However, I'm a picky eater so I'm not really into the creamed soups and the cream of wheat.  I'm currently subsisting almost entirely on unsweetened applesace, sugar free fat free pudding, campbell's chicken noodle soup (straining out the noodles and chicken of course), and jello.  Any creative suggestions as to how you handled or are currently handling this problem?  Any help would be appreciated.
kb4525
on 8/5/09 4:01 pm
I would love to know too!  I had my surgery a week ago today, and feel like I am dying on these canned cream soups and yogurt.  I am having a really hard time with the full liquid diet, esp since  I am still cooking and preparing meals for my kids and husband-foods that I cannot eat!

Kristen
Kristy A.
on 8/6/09 7:24 am - Ray City, GA
I at least am not hvaing to cook as my husband is an amazing cook and it's only us right now.  However, smelling his wonderful food is killing me!
stevie1
on 8/9/09 11:54 pm
Kristy, I am finishing week five and have lost 32 pounds. Unfortunatly, I still havent gotten out of the full liquids portions. Not for lack of trying its just that anything else at this point really upsets me.  I too have a great guy who does everything so its all me at this point.  At one week, I was eating frozen sugar free pops.  I also drank clear broth and that curbed the hunger.  By week three I switched to cream of mushroom soup, straining out the mushrooms.  Now it took me hours to eat a bowl but it worked.  Keep an eye out for the sugar content and the carbs. Those will kill us.  Are you able to get up and walk some?  That too will help.  Good luck.
Waterwench
on 8/10/09 2:54 pm - portland, OR
I drank a LOT of Earl Grey decaf tea with a bit of Splenda in it. The warmth helped relax my pouch and stoma so I wouldn't cramp up. I also would have flan, and protein shakes. I never want to see another one of those as long as I live, by the way!

But if you have a blender, a good thing to do is take some ff/sf vanilla yogurt, throw in some frozen strawberries and/or blueberries, and a banana, blend the hell out of it, and you have a nice, delicious treat without too many calories or too much sugar.
Most Active