Question from someone in the pre-surgery phase

ABCMommy
on 8/2/09 11:51 am - St. Charles, MO
I hope I am welcome to post here.  Not sure of all forum rules yet!

I am still trying to get pre-cert from my insurance company and I have just begun my 18 month required pre-surgery diet plan.  (I'm hoping that once they receive my packet for surgery authorization the ins. co. will wave all or at least some of that required 18 month diet!) 

My question is this:  What exactly is it that insurance company wants to see me accomplish?  Do they want to see that I can stay on a plan for 18 months?  Do they want to see if I can lose all or most of my weight so I don't require the surgery?  Are they just stalling?   If I fail at staying on this diet for 18 months, will they refuse to cover my surgery?  I have lost (and gained) over 100 pounds twice by dieting - so losing is not the issue for me.  I can't get to goal, much less stay at goal, without the help of this surgery. 

I am just confused.  It is only week two of my physician guided diet and I'm struggling to stay on it. 

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Therese
St. Louis MO

Therese  | RNY: 11/11/09
Follow my video blog at: www.youtube.com/user/TheDivineMissT

piadey
on 8/2/09 1:13 pm
Theresa,
I did not have to face this from my insurance . I just had my surgery last week. However, I've been going to the support group and I have seen such conditions set by other insurance companies on some of the support group memebers. What I hear is you have to lose 10% of your current body weight....18 mos. seems a little too long. Generally they give youyou 6-8 mos. time to do that...not sure if they will refuse it...haven't heard any as yet.
Most Active