Anyone NOT do protein shakes/supp??

Farmerswife
on 7/31/09 11:48 am
My nutritionist says you don't have to have them and they aren't included in my post-surg instructions.  This was great news for me, because I am not really a fan of stuff like that yet I am a little nervous because it doesn't seem like anyone else is not drinking them.
MSW will not settle
on 8/1/09 4:45 am
My surgeon and nutritionists like to see patients phase shakes out after 3 months post op.  All protein from real food.

Personally, I do better with higher protein than what my daily goal is and the shakes get me there.  I'll probably be a shake for life person.  I'm sure I'll be encouraged to stop the shakes at my six month follow up. 

MSW   Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass: Eat sensibly & enjoy moderation  

Links:  Are you a compulsive eater?  for help OA meets on-line Keep Coming Back, One Day At a Time  Overeaters Anonymous 

LV'N MY RNY.  WORKING FOR ME BECAUSE I WORK FOR IT. 

Georgiedm74
on 8/1/09 7:49 pm - Australia
I am only one month post op, but I haven't had them since about 1.5 weeks post op.  I just couldn't stomach them and got quite ill from dehydration, so went on to clear fluids until two weeks post op when I was allowed to begin pureed / mushy foods.  Since then I get all my protein from food.  I may start taking one shake a day to boost my protein, but I am fairly good at getting my protein from food.
Monique P.
on 8/2/09 5:53 am - Detroit, MI
Well, I could not tolerate the shakes after my surgery.  I had horrible pain and gas every time I tried...so, I stuck with the broths, until I got to the point where I could have a little protien. 
piadey
on 8/2/09 12:46 pm
My doc asked me to avoid protein shakes in the first couple of weeks. I am just 3 days post op and I haven't taken protein shakes. However, I'm having hard to stay on the goal of 60 g protein. I'm having Tuna with low fat mayoinaisse sour cream   which has 16 g protein per serving. Also, I'm enjoying split pea soup which has a awesome taste for me and it has some 7 g of protein. Yesterday I felt so pressured to reach my proteing goal, I tried having some creamy scramble eggs but could not take it after two bites due to stomach cramp...probably should not take it till the healing takes.
Monique P.
on 8/2/09 1:03 pm - Detroit, MI
I am very surprised.  Back in 02 when I had my surgery I was on clear liquids for 14 days, then we mixed in full liquids for two more weeks.  I could have broths, sugar free popsicles, etc...  I could not have any meat at that time.  I know things have changed as people become more educated about nutrition.   BUT, You should not feel pressured.  If it helps think of it as a game.  This is a long term process.  Don't allow yourself to be taken over by frustration early on. 
piadey
on 8/2/09 1:08 pm
Yea, I guess these nutrition suggestions vary from Doc to doc. He asked me to take anything with the consistency of applesauce...and I have been experimenting with the food processor...:) I found chef Dave's recipe very useful so far....
H.A.L.A B.
on 8/3/09 8:17 am

They are conviniet way to get your daily proteins. Firstfew months - witout them - there is no way I could have reached my protein goal. And even now - on days that the pouch feels so small that a bite or 2 make me feel "oversuffed", drinking protein shake allows me to get some food in me.

When feeling sick or cramping - protein shakes are sometimes the only food I could get in me.

After 14 months - there are days the i do not drink my proteins - but not many.

I did not lose much of my hair and I healed nicesly from surgeries. So did my friends who were able drink the proteins.  Some of my frineds who were not able - did not do as well...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

glitzigirl
on 8/12/09 2:09 am - Teaneck, NJ
I am 18 months post op and used to frequent a wonderful nutritionist.  First of all, protein powders are expensive (and in my opion, gross).  I had terrible digestive problems after surgery and she gave me some great ideas to get all my protein in. If you are not lactose intolerant, fat free milk has 7grams of protein per 8ozs and counts towards your liquid requirements. Greek yogurt (Chobani is my favorite) has 16-20 grams of protein in 8oz depending on the flavor. Thin sliced cold cuts have the same protein count as regular meets and are very easy to digest. Cheese sticks (string cheese, etc) has 7 grams per stick and only 60-90 calories depending on the brand. If you don;t like milk, try chocolate milk, strawberry millk, etc. They now have all those flavors in sugar free versions.Also, try different flavors of beans (lentils, black beans, kidney, etc) and experiment with different seasonings. My favorite is black beans with Recaito (made by Goya). Beans are the ultimate food.....easy to digest, loaded with fiber, loaded with protein and CHEAP.  My surgeon is old school and wants me to get all my calorie and nutrients from food, not chemicals. Good luck and feel free to pick my brain anytime. ;)
(deactivated member)
on 9/13/09 5:34 am
I go by my lab results as to whether I am getting enough protein.  If the labs start dropping and I just cannot eat more, I will supplement with shakes.  That being said, my requirements for protein are high, (maybe similar to a distal RNY) so I think it would make a difference.(whether you were distal, medial or proximinal) as to how much protein you are required to have per day.?

Michele
Most Active