getting enough calcium?

David B.
on 7/5/09 3:15 am - Fort Worth, TX
Me and my partner are going to be having RNY surgery in August this year. Our nut has said we need to be getting 1500mg  calcium. We have looked at the chewable waffers. You have to have 4 a day to get that much. We bought Liquid calcium. but you have to do 3 teaspoons a day.

How do yall get your calcium?

David
wendy_fou
on 7/6/09 3:14 pm - AR
Actually the recommended calcium intake for post-ops is 1500mg - 2000mg.  For a man, 1500mg is probably fine.  As a lady, I do 2000mg daily.

Since the body absorbs calcium best in 500mg doses, I do 8 citracal plus tablets daily - in doses of 2 tablets at a time - spread out into 4 doses per day. 

Since I eat 4 meals a day, I simply remember to take 2 citracal plus tablets as soon as I start drinking after every meal.  Since I always eat 4 times per day, I always remember my 4 doses that way. 

Also, since my meals are evenly spaced throughout the day, this ensures that my calcium doses are evenly spread throughout the day as well.  (Spreading the calcium doses evenly throughout the day is optimum since the body uses calcium fairly evenly throughout the day.) 
ejjy
on 7/12/09 6:48 am - Watertown, MA
it's important what type of calcium you take, also.  you want calcium citrate.  it's the only kind our digestive systems can adequately absorb post-op.  3-4 doses a day is the minimum i've been able to find.

just my opinion, but don't skimp on your supplements, get the very best you can.  it's your health. 

RNY 6/16/09 - Last weighed 10/27/2011 weighed 151 lost 52 pounds  66% toward personal goal  of 125, six pounds from unofficial unpretentious goal of 145lbs......basically very happy.   boo-rah, RNY!

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/09 5:41 am
Calcium is best absorbed when taken in conjuction with magnesium and Vit D.  There are brands out there that are calcium citrate w/ mag & D.
Most Active