Adding protein into foods & drinks

Theresa D.
on 6/30/09 6:16 pm - Chula Vista, CA
I just got some unflavored Unjury Protein powder to add in my foods and drinks but I am unsure about the amount to put in my Crystal Light.  I make it by the gallon so how much of the Unjury should I put in??? One, two, three scoops???  I've looked on their website and it just said add it to your Crystal Light but no amounts....  

T

Don’t cry because it is over. Smile because it happened. –Dr. Suess

30 lbs lost - Pre-OP

hearthome
on 7/2/09 1:14 pm - Midlothian, VA
 I add 1 scoop to my greek yogurt or to cottage cheese (1/2 cup serving).

Sandi
Home is where the heart is!
wendy_fou
on 7/6/09 3:30 pm - AR
I'm posting this in an effort to help not only you, but anyone who is reading this. 

MANY people have trouble adding protein powders to ANYTHING (taste or texture, etc is offensive to some people).  So here are some neat tips to remember.

There really is no secret to "how much" protein powder to add to anything (food, drinks, yogurt, etc). 

There is no rule that says you have to add so many "scoops" either. 

There is a nutrition facts box on the side that will tell you what a "serving size" is - not only in "scoops" but in GRAMS usually.

If you have a digital kitchen scale, you can measure out a level TABLESPOON of your protein powder (whatever it may be) and then weigh that amount.  (You may want to weigh several level tablespoons seperately to make sure you are getting an accurate measurement.  If your measurements are a gram or so off, use an average of whatever they weighed.)  (Note: Usually a "scoop" is about 2 tablespoons - but not always!  So measure!)

Prorate out the nutrition facts based on the weight of a level tablespoon.  You may want to add just a level tablespoon to a drink instead of a whole "scoop".  That way, you still get a little protein added in without so MUCH of the protein texture/taste added in. 

As far out as I am, the only time I use protein powder is to add to frozen vanilla yogurt for flavoring.  But as soon as I buy a tub of protein powder, I throw the "scoop" away.  I measure out a few level tablespoons of the protein powder and weigh each one in grams.  I take an average of all the weights, then prorate out the nutrition facts based on that amount.  Then I write all the nutrition facts out for 1 level tablespoon of the protein powder and write the prorated nutrition facts on a post-it note.  I tape the post-it note on the side of the tub of protein.  Then the info is handly for my food journal. 

Hope that helps.

Wen
UNJURY
on 7/16/09 6:28 am - Sterling, VA

Hi Theresa

I am sorry we didn't communicate well enough.

First, one of the posts here is correct - that any amount of protein helps...if you can add a little to Crystal Light, that is better than if you don't.

We suggest that you mix the UNJURY into a glass of the Crystal Light as you are ready to drink it...rather than mixing a whole lot into the gallon.

The reason is "food safety". I think the Crystal Light might keep in the fridge longer than the Crystal Light WITH the protein.

Using our Unflavored Protein is a little bit of an experiment for each person. Try a half of a scoop in 8 ounces of your Crystal Light, and if that works, try a little more...until you get to a full scoop. But if you use a half scoop that is still 10 grams of high quality protein.

Many of our customers tell us that the fruit flavors of Crystal Light work best...orange, raspberry, fruit punch.

Does that help?

Anytime you have a question, you are always welcome to call our toll free number:

1 800 517 5111
Monday - Friday 9 AM to 6 PM eastern time

OK
Thanks!

Jerome
UNJURY (R) Protein
Theresa D.
on 7/16/09 8:19 am - Chula Vista, CA
Thank you everyone for the input...

Someone told me to put a scoop in to a 20 oz bottle of Crystal Light. So I did and it was great... you can tell that is has the protein mixed in but it's ok. The taste is very tolerable. I drink only one 20 oz bottle with the unflavored UNJURY after that it's straight Crystal Light. lol  I prefer it in the Fruit Punch. 

Don’t cry because it is over. Smile because it happened. –Dr. Suess

30 lbs lost - Pre-OP

Most Active