Portable protein sources, low in fat/carb, and taste good?

kollibri
on 6/25/09 11:55 pm - Leslie, MI
Hello everyone,

I'm new here, so first I'd like to say HI!  I'm really looking forward to getting to know everyone better.

I recently joined the "Back On Track Together" group and I just started using FitDay to track my food intake.  The number one thing I'm noticing is the incredibly unbalanced ratio of my carbs/fat/protein intake to my goals for those.
My goals for daily % of calories are:
Protein: 50%
Carbs: 25%
Fat: 25%

But what I see is:
Protein: 20%
Carbs: 50%
Fat: 30%

So I started looking at all the foods I have been logging, trying to find the ones that are the worst.  And much to my surprise, many of my "healthiest" choices were following these ratios exactly! 20% protein, 50% carbs, 30% fat (even my slim fast optima bars)

So, I was trying to find foods that follow my goals, and really, the only thing I can find are pure meats (chicken, fish, beef, eggs w/no white, etc) and protein shakes (yuck!).
Now, I could just munch on meat all day.  I'm perfectly ok with that. The problem is, in this warm weather, meat goes bad unless I can always have a cooler at my fingertips (and I can't).

Are there any high protein bars out there that are low in carbs and fat, but that taste GOOD?  Are there any other suggestions for foods that are high in protein, low in carbs and fat that are portable (don't need a cooler)?

Thanks for your advice!  Looking forward to reading your responses. =)

Ticker Zone Ticker

debbieposner
on 7/4/09 12:27 am
Jerky is portable and almost 100 percent protein, so will definitely improve your ratio. Believe it or not, pork rind ditto. I think the trick is to premeasure portions of .5 ounces (even though yes I sometimes eat two portions) so that you have a natural limit AND you can journal them very easily.

Of the protein bars, Pure Protein and MetRX will also improve your ratio. Ditto roasted soy nuts and roasted edamame.

Also, if you keep string cheese in the fridge, I think you can pop one in your purse or pocket and it should last the day if you are not in the direct sun. I could be wrong about this (don't know where you live), so if it look terrible or smells funky, consider it an experiment that failed.

Good luck and best wishes.

Debbie in Newburgh
wendy_fou
on 7/6/09 3:19 pm - AR

The RD that did my MedGem testing (who has specialized in WLS post-ops for years) advised me to do
50% carbs
25% protein
25% fat

So I don't see a problem with your carbs at all.  This ain't the Atkins diet and you need good healthy carbs to live. 

Even though this isn't Atkins, I do love Atkins bars.  They tend to be almost perfect as far as caloric ratios go if you pick the right one (not the Endulge, etc).  They're even good frozen or microwaved to warm.   (I know that sounds super weird.  The Chocolate Chip bar is SOOOO good if you microwave it until the chocolate melts just a tad - then eat it with a spoon because it sort of falls apart.  Yummmmm.  The Peanut Fudge bar is SOOOOO good frozen - just like a reese's peanut butter cup cold.)

South Beach makes a couple of good bars - not the ones they sell in boxes - but the ones they sell in singles.  Those have good caloric ratios in them and they are SUPER good. 

Hope that helps! 

Most Active