Protein That Actually Dissolves

jmilner
on 6/14/09 11:55 pm - Anywhere, MD
I had RNY years ago, and it's occurred to me that I never really get all the protein I should. I've tried to get it through diet, but it's just not enough, and I'm a big time carnivore type.

I have TONS of powdered protein through the house. Tons. You know why? The stuff is awful and it never dissolves. Frankly I think "soluble protein powder" is some kind of oxymoron or misnomer. I think protein dissolves about as well as sand. It seems like the best you can do is drink it down quick before it falls out of the liquid again.

Ok, THAT said - how can I make good daily use of this stuff? I have no patience with handheld blenders and I can't use them at work, which is where I spend 13 hours of my awake time. How can I make use of this stuff which most of the time clumps together? Cold liquid, hot liquid, doesn't matter. Can I make a cracker out of it? Maybe a pudding? Mu**** in with my tuna fish? How do I get this down my gullet? After five years, I'm really sick of paying out money to get this stuff in me. I'd like to figure out how to use the stockpile I already have.

I'm serious. I probably sound sarcastic, but I'm really frustrated.
Amy I.
on 6/15/09 2:54 am
Most people I work with mix it in a large water bottle, shaking thoroughly until dissolved.  If you absolutely cannot dissolve it, then take a spoon to the top and take out any extra clumps.  I know you don't want to use a blender, but maybe you can make a quick shake at night, put it in the refrigerator, pour it into a travel container in the morning and take it with you to work.  Some of these protein drinks can be tasty blended with ice, a little water, and a little bit of chocolate light soy milk for added flavor.  Drink between meals or as a meal replacement.  Otherwise, like you were saying, you can add them into your food (into yogurt, cottage cheese, or your tuna if you want).  I hope this gives you an idea or two.

-Amy Ingols, RD

Amy Ingols, Registered Dietitian

Laparoscopic Associates of San Francisco

jmilner
on 6/16/09 10:03 pm - Anywhere, MD
I'm actually, at this point unconcerned about flavor - just need a means of delivering it into my gullet that doesn't involve sifting insoluble globs of protein goo. Every method I have found has resulted in shaking the hell out of something that really won't dissolve.

I think maybe I'm going to try doing it in yogurt or chicken salad or some kind of sauce or marinara, because milk, juice or tea just doesn't seem to work.
azreggie
on 6/17/09 4:37 am - Tucson, AZ
I will mix a scoop of protein in sf ff cheesecake pudding mix and it tastes really good.  My latest obsession is mixing a scoop of Nectar Cappacinno on with the sf ff cheescake pudding mix and it tastes like coffee cheesecake yum!  Try a scoop of vanilla in with some sf ff pistachio pudding or chocolate with some sf ff chocolate pudding.  There are a million ways to get in protein during the day.  Go over to the RNY forum and look up Eggface, she has a million different recipes for shakes and drinks.  Check it out.  Jupiter has some great recipes for protein bars, which I make now and take to work with me, and they are GOOD!  I make 'em on the weekends.  Good luck to you.

Reggie

UNJURY
on 6/21/09 8:08 am - Sterling, VA

Hi jmilner

You are actually 100% correct. Protein does not technically dissolve the way that sugar dissolves in hot coffee.

If protein dissolved, our bodies would melt!

Rather, it "mixes" in...

There are some products that do mix better than others.
Improving mixability costs money so some products don't spend the money.

You might try shaking on blending, and letting it sit for 10 minutes after blending to let the bubbles clear.

Does that help a little?

Jerome
UNJURY (R) Protein
tlimon72
on 7/1/09 3:27 am - Austin, TX
I don't like it either, but I found it does really well in broth or cup o'soups..something that is hot rather than cold.  I made egg drop soup at home and put the protein powder in 1st, then a little of the broth and with the wisk, incorporated it with more broth, a little at a time.  When I thought I had gotten most of the lumps out, I put it through a strainer.  I then made the soup like usual.  Now I know if I need to get in a little extra protein, that is the way for me to do it.  It actually made the soup seem "richer".

I've thought about making a big batch and freezing it in portioned containers, that way it would already be done.  

BTW, I use the soy protein powder. 

Most Active