DS'ers Typical Calories

MelissaRNCLNC
on 5/30/09 2:06 pm - Commerce, CA
 Hello

I had my DS in 2001 by Dr. Anthone @ USC in Los Angeles and I went from 400 to 200 pounds.  I now want to lose about 50 more pounds so I have begun going to the gym and doing a warm up by the biggest loser fitness book, circuit strength training exercise, cool down, followed by an hour on the treadclimber, which is a combination of a treadmill, elipical and stairmaster.  You get 1.5 times the burn as the other machines.  I wear a polar heart rate and calorie watch with a chest strap to monitor my heart rate.  In 2 hours I burn between 1400 and 1500 calories.  If I swim for 1.5 hours I burn 1800 calories according to 200 calories burn per 10 minutes of certain swimming strokes.

I started following the biggest loser diet plan but... I was only eating like 1800 calories, I did not lose a pound all week.  Then the light went on ... AHHH maybe I should be eating MORE, and lowering my carb intake.  So I looked on DS Facts (Diane C) DS Math and it stated I should be eating like 3000 calories which gives me 1268 absorbed calories.  So I am desperately trying to drink protein shakes, eat high protein usually about 120 grams, carbs about 50 grams, hardly any sugar, and tons of fat but I am still only coming up with like 1800 calories.  So I guess my question is do I need to eat 3000 calories a day to maintain my weight, or do I need to eat more since I am exercising so much and burning so many calories that I am going into starvation mode???

When I look at everyone else's daily food intake, it seems like I am eating more.

Breakfast
Coffee with Creamer and EAS whey protein powder

Morning Snack
Cheese with Scrambled eggs, bacon

Lunch
Naan flat bread
Cheese
Prego Sauce

Afternoon snack
peanut butter and celery

Dinner
Filet Mignon
Asparagas with garlic and butter
Red potatoes with cheese

I am considering getting the Go Fit or the Body Bug to see if that would be even a better tool at keeping track of my overall calories I burn 24 hours a day versus what I am consuming.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Melissa
Candace Sparkles
on 11/7/09 11:03 am
i am a fairly new post op so my eating plan consists of me eating 3 oz a meal so I'm not one to offer advice to you that's for sure. However I bet if you post this question over on the DS forum you'd get a whole slew of responses. Good luck!!! 

My DS

100% EWL achieved!

sw 291/cw 134/gw 145 (Resetting goal to 135!) (resetting yet again to 120!)

Most Active