Dumping a day later?

greatexpectations
on 5/27/09 6:45 am
Is it normal to dump a day later than when you ate the food that made you sick? 

I accidentally ate a bite of potato salad yesterday and today I have been dead. I'm pretty sure it's dumping but I thought that was suppose to happen right after you eat something bad. 

I'm almost 2 weeks out.

Thanks!
Amy I.
on 5/27/09 9:16 am
Usually with the RNY, dumping can happen soon after you eat something fatty, greasy or sugary.  Was there something that you ate today that you think might have caused it? If there is nothing else you can attribute it to, I would just try to avoid the potato salad for a bit, trying it later once you can tolerate more foods. 

Since you are in the soft food phase, now that you are trying more foods just be sure to try one food at a time and go slow.  Stop once you feel that comfortable fullness.  You'll want to stick to softer protein foods such as soft boiled/scrambled eggs, tofu, light yogurt, non fat cottage cheese, etc. Try to stay away from starchy items such as potatoes, breads, pasta, rice, etc.

I hope this helps,

Amy Ingols, RD

Amy Ingols, Registered Dietitian

Laparoscopic Associates of San Francisco

greatexpectations
on 5/27/09 10:26 am
I know I ate something I wasn't suppose to, I was just wondering if it should take that long to dump. I didn't have any dumping symptoms until a full day later. But thank you for your response.
sandy K.
on 6/5/09 2:54 pm - minneapolis, MN
I am 2+ months out and have had dumping the day after twice.  No way was it realated to same day eating because it happened in the morning before any intake.  I guess each of us is unique.
Most Active