Easy Protein

(deactivated member)
on 5/26/09 10:32 am - Farmervile, LA
I was just at Wal-Mart, and picked up something called a "Super Whey Protein Shot" made by Body Fortress. Anyone ever heard of it or used it?

I am still in the full liquid stage and was looking for an alternative to my horrible chocolate protein mix drink. I mixed this stuff with 1oz of water to get the 4oz of liquid I need twice a day for the next week. Here's the kicker..........it tastes just like koolaid. Even diluted a little, it's still strong tasting and could probably be added to 5oz of water to make a full cup and still have a good taste. For a 2.9oz serving, it is 110 calories, 0 fat, 1 carbohydrate, 0 sugar and 26 proteins. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and I plan on taking the container with me to ask if I can continue using it, and if so, my protein worries are over! It's pricey at $2.00 per bottle, but if the doctor says it's OK, I'm going to look online and see if I can buy it in bulk or larger containers.

I won't need nearly as much of it once I move onto the mushy and solid food stages, but it would be nice to be able to add to a cup of water every once in a while to get some extra protein during the day.

Anyway, it's just a suggestion for anyone looking for a protein fix that actually tastes good! Maybe as a supplement every once in a while or something. 
Pam T.
on 5/26/09 11:12 pm - Saginaw, MI
Protein shots or bullets are not the right kind of protein for us after WLS.  They are great for bodybuilders, but bad for us with altered digestive systems.  I've written my opinion about the brand "New Whey" -- but the Body Fortress Shot is exactly the same.  Here's the lowdown:

---

My Opinion of New Whey Protein Bullets

A lot of people swear by the New Whey Protein Bullets. But from my own research I am not thrilled with the quality of the protein it provides for WLS patients. (It's great for bodybuilders, but not for people with altered digestive systems.)

Here's what I know:

Ingredients in New Whey Protein 42g
67.4% pure deionized water, 31.5% Actinase (patent pending blend of enzymatically hydrolyzed collagenic protein isolate, whey protein isolate and casein protein isolate), less that 2% of malic acid, vitamin c,b3,b5,b2, b1, folic acid, biotin, and b12, natural flavors, sucralose, blue-1 and red 40.

As we know, the highest percentage of ingredients are listed first, with lesser amounts listed last. So we know that of that 31.5% of protein mixture the highest amount of protein would be Collagen Protein. Next is Whey Protein Isolate, then Casein Protein Isolate. Let's look at each one:

Collagen Protein:
This is the main protein of connective tissue in animals and the most abundant protein in mammals, making up about 25% of the whole-body protein content. When broken down, collagen becomes a gelatin used in many foods such as Jell-O type desserts. It’s also used in cosmetics, pharmacology and photography industry for the production of various products. Collagen and gelatin are poor-quality protein sources since they do not contain all the essential amino acids that the human body requires - they are not complete proteins.

Whey Protein Isolate
This is the highest quality protein currently available. The BV rating is often shown at 110-159 because the BV scale was devised before Whey Protein Isolate was developed and the scale is based on the perfect protein of an egg. This form of protein has the highest bioavailability of any other form of protein.

Casein Protein Isolate
Casein is a slow-digesting protein source that actually forms a "gel" in the stomach and slowly releases it's amino acid components over several hours after ingestion. This slow release can last up to 7 hours (for comparison: Whey is released within 40 minutes). Casein is derived from milk - same protein source as if you drink a glass of milk. My concern though with this source is because it is concentrated and process to be slow-digesting, the Casein Protein Isolate may actually leave our altered/shorter digestive track before it has a chance to release all of the amino acids it contains.

And just a side note: The words "enzymatically hydrolyzed" don't really mean much. Enzymatically just means it's a "variety of protein enzyme sources" and hydrolyzed just means that the protein has been "broken down" into it's basic amino acid component.

So basically with those $3.50+ protein bullets you're paying for 68% water and 32% of a low quality combination of protein (with a little bit of good whey protein thrown in for good measure).

I personally would rather feed my body the high quality Whey Protein Isolate that is proven to be the best for my body, will be processed in less than an hour in my shorter intestines and allow me to use every single bit of what I'm drinking and not waste any protein.

HTH
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/09 1:39 am, edited 5/27/09 1:40 am - Farmervile, LA
Thank you for your information! I noticed that you had RNY and you talk a lot about digestion of the protein as being one of your biggest concerns with this product. Do you believe that it makes a difference that I had Realize Band and a different digestive track? Could this particular protein not leave my digestive system as quickly as it would yours? The reason I'm gripping to it so hard is I only have until Sunday and then I can start getting my protein from my foods, which I've already planned out in a two-week diet. Right now, I'm trying my hardest to finish out the full liquid diet and not gag everytime I have to choke down that supposedly unflavored protein mix stuff I got that actually tastes more like regurgitated vomit. I have a doctor's appointment in a couple of hours, so I'm gonna take the container with me to see what they say, and I guess if they say "no" I'm gonna have to figure something else out or do without for a few days because I cannot drink.......or even smell.......that protein mix again. I guess I got too excited to fast......I figured it was too good to be true!
tlimon72
on 5/31/09 9:15 am - Austin, TX
So did you find out?  I'll be having Lap-Band next week.
(deactivated member)
on 5/31/09 11:22 am - Farmervile, LA
Unfortunately, when I went for my appointment, the nutritionist was out of the office. I left a message for her to call me, but by the time she did, I was already into my mushy stage and no longer needed the protein bullet. Now I'm able to get plenty of protein from my mush foods. I would just suggest asking the nutritionist about it when you go in for your pre-op appointment. Sorry I couldn't find anything else out.
UNJURY
on 6/21/09 8:16 am - Sterling, VA

I believe that the big issue with these bullet products is the *protein quality*.

Separately, you can decide for yourself whether giving the product a name with WHEY (a high quality protein) is misleading when in fact, the first and greatest source of protein on the label is misleading--they do put an asterisk on their website that says:

"* This product is made up of a protein blend that contains collagenic protein isolate, whey protein isolate and casein protein isolate."

One of the bullet companies has conceded that their PDCAAS (protein quality score) is only 36 or 38...
That compares with true whey protein, which gets a 100 score (the highest)

Jerome
UNJURY (R) Protein

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/09 12:38 am - Farmervile, LA
I've had several people message me about this protein, so I took a vial to my doctor's appointment last week when I got my first fill. I showed it to the doctor, the nutritionist and the nurse practitioner. They had never heard of it and kept the empty vial to research it.

I talked to the nurse practitioner this morning, and she said that they had looked into the product and decided that it was a very good source of protein. In fact, the nurse practitioner (who has also had lapband surgery done) had already bought some and was using them as a breakfast supplement. They even kept the empty vials to use as a display in their office and planned on telling their patients about it.

I know everyone has their own thoughts on the product, and ultimately what matters is what YOUR doctor says about it, but I just wanted to update what I found out from my doctor.
learning more everyday
on 6/26/09 5:31 am
I received my band 17 days ago, and at the nutritionist consult this was one of the ways to get protein that was suggested. use teh bullet, add 1/2 to a bottle of water with a crystal lite packet. i usually do this 2 times a day.
Have had lapband for 3 years, ready for it to be gone... Just like my ex husband and I did, we are getting a divorce.

MacArthurBug
on 6/30/09 1:53 am - KY
I wish I COULD do the bullets. I'm apparently allergic to something in every type I've tried. Makes the skin of my hands and face hot and tinglie. Sucks- 'cause they've got a LOT of protien and I still have trouble getting ALL the protien I need in a day. A girl gets tired of icky so-not-nice shakes.

~*~ Amber ~*~
highest weight: 335 (possibly more) pounds
current weight: holding steady at about 138-142 
Lowest weight: 136
New goal: Find my balence

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/09 7:05 am - Farmervile, LA

I know how you feel, because my best friend had the Gastric Sleeve two weeks after my Realize Band and she cannot tolerate the bullets either. She gets nauseous and breaks out in a cold sweat. I hate that it affects some people that way, because they are so convenient.

Most Active