Needing Help with a Routine

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/09 11:39 am - Farmervile, LA
First of all, hello! I'm new to the site and was banded on 5/18/09 with the Realize Band. I've been reading over the message boards and I'm really confused over the post-op diet plan. I realize that many doctors have different plans, but my particular one has me on a two week full liquid diet, and then progressing to a two week mushy food diet. After four weeks, I can start adding in more solid foods. I really like this plan, as I'm one of those people that NEEDS structure to do well, so I plan to follow his plan EXACTLY with no variations. It has done me very well so far, as I've already lost 17 pounds, as of 4 days post-op.

My problem is coming from a couple of things:

(1) the whey protein powder that I must drink with 1/2 cup of milk, twice a day, makes me sick because I can't stand the taste. Any suggestions on other forms of protein that will give me at least 30g per serving like this powder does? I'm drinking the Carnation mix in the morning also, and I can handle it, but the protein serving is only 10g.

(2) it was suggested that I begin taking flaxseed oil daily in order to improve skin elasticity to prevent sagging excess skin. Since I cannot digest a capsule, I have been forced to endure the liquid form, which literally makes me gag. I've resorted to mixing in 1tsp in chicken soup and 1tsp in cream of wheat, but it changes the taste of both of these, which makes me not want to eat them. Does anyone know of another way to get the oil without the horrible taste?

(3) I will be transitioning to the mushy stage in a week, and I'm not sure what kinds of things I can eat. Is there anyone who has done a similar plan and can give me some ideas of good foods. I realize that a lot of people can eat what they want, but I am not interested in those suggestions, I am wanting a maximum nutritional plan that I can do. Some of the examples in my doctor's plan are: yogurt (which I cannot eat), pureed fruit, pudding, blended chicken, applesauce, cottage cheese, egg salad, mashed potatoes, blended egg (whatever that is), tuna fish, mashed fish and pureed vegetables. Some of those ideas are pretty vauge, so I would like some specific ideas on things I can eat and how I can prepare them.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am a planner and like to have things down to every detail before beginning. The more precise I am in this journey, the better I will do with it.

Thanks!
Pam T.
on 5/24/09 11:33 pm - Saginaw, MI

(1) the whey protein powder that I must drink with 1/2 cup of milk, twice a day, makes me sick because I can't stand the taste. Any suggestions on other forms of protein that will give me at least 30g per serving like this powder does? I'm drinking the Carnation mix in the morning also, and I can handle it, but the protein serving is only 10g.

a full scoop with only 1/2 cup milk?  I bet it's really thick and nasty!  Try doing half scoop with that much liquid.  Or adding an extra 1/2 cup of water to the full scoop.  

Also here are some posts on my blog that might help

Trying different protein samples
25 different ways to mix a single scoop of protein

(2) it was suggested that I begin taking flaxseed oil daily in order to improve skin elasticity to prevent sagging excess skin. Since I cannot digest a capsule, I have been forced to endure the liquid form, which literally makes me gag. I've resorted to mixing in 1tsp in chicken soup and 1tsp in cream of wheat, but it changes the taste of both of these, which makes me not want to eat them. Does anyone know of another way to get the oil without the horrible taste?

First --- NOTHING is going to prevent your skin from sagging. Not vitamins, not exercise, not prayer or hope.   It all depends on your age, history of yo-yo dieting, how long you've been obese ... and basically whatever the heck your body feels like doing.  Flax will help your digestive system more than it'll help your skin, actually.  And yes, you can digest capsules.  You have the band, so you have a normal stomach with gastric acid... capsules will dissolve. 

(3) I will be transitioning to the mushy stage in a week, and I'm not sure what kinds of things I can eat. Is there anyone who has done a similar plan and can give me some ideas of good foods. I realize that a lot of people can eat what they want, but I am not interested in those suggestions, I am wanting a maximum nutritional plan that I can do. Some of the examples in my doctor's plan are: yogurt (which I cannot eat), pureed fruit, pudding, blended chicken, applesauce, cottage cheese, egg salad, mashed potatoes, blended egg (whatever that is), tuna fish, mashed fish and pureed vegetables. Some of those ideas are pretty vauge, so I would like some specific ideas on things I can eat and how I can prepare them.

There's a link over there ----->>  on the right navigation bar called "General Nutritional Guidelines" and it gives some good examples of what types of foods are on each stage of the diet plan.  I think, though, that your doctor gave you some very good ideas.  It's not that you have to follow exactly the foods that are listed there... but that you use those as a guide for the texture and consistency for picking foods.  

Typically on the puree diet you just prepare food normally, then send it through the food processor to ma**** up.  OR you prepare the food in such a way that it looks like it's been through the blender.  

Good luck!
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

(deactivated member)
on 5/25/09 3:36 am - Farmervile, LA
Thank you, Pam! You gave me a lot of good ideas and suggestions. I'm going to check out all of those links. I'm also going to look up flaxseed oil and research it more, because I'm not going to put myself through tasting that stuff if it's not really going to benefit me. My doctor told me no capsules for the first three months, so I may just not take any until I can start swalling the capsules. There is so much to learn!

Thanks again!
kathkeb
on 5/26/09 9:12 am

Isopure makes a clear liquid, ready to drink protein drink that is pretty tolerable.
it has 40 grams of protein for the whole bottle, 160 calories, zero carbs

I have tried the Fruit punch and the grape and they were both pretty good -- similar to crystal light.

they are sort of pricey, at about 4.00 per bottle, but I plan to drink 1 bottle per day (20 ounces) when I am in the liquid stage -- and I spent more than that at the drive-thru in the old days.

As far as 'mushies' go, I have seen a recipe for Ricotta cheese (1/4 cup) mixed with a little bit of marinara sauce, and topped with a small bit of shredded mozzerella --kinda like the insides of lasagna -- sounds really good to me.

Lots of people like refried beans with a little melted cheddar cheese.

Good luck - I am just a few weeks behind you!

Kath

Most Active