RMR

susansnook
on 5/21/09 9:54 am - Sheridan, OR
Hi everyone my name is Susan and I am 4.5 years out from RNY. I would like some info concerning resting metabolic rate and its significance. I had mine tested today at the hospital.  the numbers were as follows. For my age and stuff it should be about 1500 cals but it isn't it is about 1200. Any insight would be appreciated. My followup appt. is a few weeks away. Thanks, Susan
Pam T.
on 5/21/09 11:48 am - Saginaw, MI
 I had mine tested in December and it was 1450.... which seems to be much higher than many folks here on OH who had their's done.  Most people run right around the 1200 range, it seems. 

Personally I think we have "broken" our metabolism when we lived in morbid obesity for so long.  The hormones and insulin resistance and metobolic screw ups.... our body just doesn't work the same way as it would if we were never obese in the first place.  So yes, low RMR's make a lot of sense to me.  No... I don't have any science to back these thoughts up, but its my personal opinion until I can find a scientist  who thought of it first.  LOL

So, 1200 calories a day is what your body needs to simply exist as a total blob... not moving, working, walking around... just laying in bed and surviving.  So in theory we need to feed our body that minimum number in order to keep your body working properly.  Then whatever extra calories you burn through normal daily activity and purposeful exercise is what will cause the calorie deficit to create weight loss.  

Since you're 4.5 years out, your RMR is based on your skinny self.  When you were pre-op your RMR would have been much higher because your body had to keep many more pounds alive.  As we get thinner, the RMR goes down. 

How do you increase your RMR so you can eat more food?  Weight training.  Muscle requires more calories for survival than any other subtance in the body.  So if you have a strong lean muscle mass you'll require more calories through food.  

Keep us posted on how the follow up appointment goes. 

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

susansnook
on 5/22/09 1:21 am - Sheridan, OR
Thank you Pam, that was just the info I was looking for. Feed my body atleast 1200cal a day. Can probably add a little more on a very active day. Now I have a number to work with, not just a guess. Thanks, Susan
Pam T.
on 5/22/09 1:23 am - Saginaw, MI
I should also add that when I bumped up my calories to match my RMR, I found myself stuck on a 4 month plateau.  When I dropped my calories back down (about 200 less than my RMR) the scale started moving again.  So who knows what's right for sure .... 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

susansnook
on 5/22/09 4:17 am - Sheridan, OR
Hi Pam, I should be ok for a little while since I will be bumping my intake down to be where I should be. We tend to think we are normal, whatever that is, and that we can eat like we think others do. Not true. We will always have to battle this. Thanks, Susan
Most Active