Starving Marvin

veronicak
on 5/19/09 11:47 am
I'm having a terrible time with hunger.  I had facet injections in my back on Saturday and have been hungry ever since.  Has anyone had this as a side effect? I have trouble eating protein except in shake or bar form.  I can eat carbs no problem and worry this will effect my weight loss.  Any advice?
V
Pam T.
on 5/20/09 11:04 pm - Saginaw, MI
Hi Veronica -

Is it really "real hunger" or is it "head hunger?"    Most of the time it's impossible to figure out the difference. 

During surgery the nerves in your stomach were cut and it can take anywhere from 3 months to 18 months for them to heal, regenerate and start working again.  These are the nerves that signal hunger to your brain.  So with you being so early out, I'd venture a guess that you're dealing with head hunger. 

Also remember that thirst is often misconstrued as hunger -- the body doesn't know how to distinguish the difference.  So make sure you're getting in all your 64oz of water -- more if necessary. 

As for not being able to tolerate dense protein.  This is very normal around this time post-op.  It's really a matter of training your pouch to accept more solid foods and do whatever you can to keep your pouch full and saited for as long as possible.  Protein shakes slide right through the pouch and don't stick around, but turkey or chicken will stay in the pouch for up to 1.5 to 2 hours after you eat as long as you don't start drinking water again.  Carbs also slide right through because they generally chew down to nothing and don't remain very dense. 

Yes... relying on carbs for your food is going to effect your weight loss.  You need to make sure you're doing the high-protein diet like your Nut recommends.  I personally eat about 40% of my calories from protein... 35-40% from carbs ... 20-25% from fat.  I have a rule for myself that I'm not allowed to eat any carb food without first having protein.  So if I eat an apple, I must also eat peanut butter or cheese or sliced turkey with it in order to follow the "protein first" rule. 

Good luck!
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

veronicak
on 5/21/09 3:18 am
Thank you!  Your post is very helpful.  It feels like real hunger and I'm wondering if the cortisone shots have something to do with it.  I'll ask my PT today, but I doubt she has experience with RNY patients . . .
Amy I.
on 5/21/09 8:38 am
I have my clients aim for 3 meals a day and focus on protein at meal times.  The protein is important for healing and to help hang on to that muscle during weight loss.  You can start with going back to softer protein foods such as scrambled eggs/soft boiled eggs, tofu, light yogurt, non fat cottage cheese, etc.  Once you feel comfortable with these foods you can move onto more solid proteins such as fish, tuna, luncheon meats, turkey, chicken, etc.  Meats still might be a little harder to digest right now.  When you sit down for a meal, it is very important to take VERY small bites, chew everything to mush, and stop once you feel a comfortable fullness.  Try this at 3 meals/day.  If you find you're hungry between meals, sip on your protein drink to help you get that protein in.  Try to ease up on the carbs, yes they are easier to digest, but you really want to aim for protein daily. 

I hope this helps!

Amy Ingols, RD

Amy Ingols, Registered Dietitian

Laparoscopic Associates of San Francisco

Picsbylara
on 5/24/09 3:45 am - Hillsboro, MO
I have ulcers that feel better after I eat.  Sometimes its hard to differentiate between the two ulcer pain or hunger.  
Trisha1977
on 8/15/09 7:54 am - Radcliff, KY
Hi,

I have Facet injections also....and it is a steriod they are injecting therefore will possible make you hungry (it does me)....its just a side effect of the drug....

what I do if i get munchies I get some dense protein(like chicken) and eat that so that I am sure to stay full for a long time and hopefully not nibble too much after that :-)

Hope this helps...

Trisha

highest weight 252/surgery day 242/current 144/my goal 140

Proud wife of an Army Retiree/Veteran who is proud of me!
veronicak
on 8/17/09 9:57 am
Thanks!  I think the munchies were short term thank goodness!  I've been wondering if it makes me a slow loser but the doc said I'm doing fine

Most Active