new and seeking input

coolicol
on 5/18/09 11:45 am - Glassboro, NJ
I went to a consultation - information seminar - tonight.  I walked away a little more confused than ever and am hoping you all can lend me some tried and true advice/information from an experience position.  I am not 100% sold on having lap band - I am fearful of surgery in general - and still partially think if I tried a little harder or exercised a little more maybe this wouldn't be necessary.  I know that sounds self defeating - and possibly even like I am in denial - but surgery just seems like something I should be avoiding.

Here is my question in a nut shell - when I have the surgery I will be on a restricted diet.  The doctor said this limtied food is what will cause my weight loss.

Why wouldn't this limitation help me lose weight PRE op?

He seems to think we sabotage our efforts, eat more than we think we do, etc - and I do tend to believe in what he is saying, but SHOULDn't someone who is honestly trying to lose weight see SOME movement?

Did anyone have a "presurgery" diet you had to follow to prepare for the surgery?  Is there a place I can find that outlined?

Thanks for the help.  I have been registered here for a littl ewhile but only really started finding my way around in the past few days.  All help is appreciated.

Colleen

Pam T.
on 5/18/09 11:07 pm - Saginaw, MI
Colleen -

Have you bought the book "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies" yet?  If not, I highly recommend it.  It will walk you through this whole pre-op process and help you understand all the different kinds of surgery, what questions to ask, what to expect on surgery day and life afterward.  I've ready mine through twice and still refer back to it often even though I'm now 18 months post-op.

It sounds like you're not sure about surgery yet.  So until you are, just keep researching and reading and trying to lose the weight on your own.  You really can't be successful with this surgery -- whichever type you choose -- until you are 150% committed to the process and know in your heart of hearts that this is the right move for you.  So if you think you want to try again with diet and exercise... definitely do it.  There's nothing wrong with thinking that way, it's normal and expected. 

As you're doing your research, make sure that you look into all the four major surgeries.  Lap Band, RNY, Sleeve and DS.  Be open minded and look at every angle of every one of them.  Surgery is surgery...  it's not like the band is less of a surgery than any other surgery.  So make sure you're choosing what's right for you based on your needs (eating habits, medical needs, personality and amount of weight you need to lose) -- don't let fear of surgery dictate which WLS you'll have.  It's best to pick the right one the first time around.

I had to do the insurance mandated 12 month pre-op diet twice... a second time because the first time around my doctor didn't do the proper documentation.  So I had plenty of time to be sure that WLS was right for me.  In those 2 years of religious dieting, exercising my butt off and being compliant with all the rules and guidelines.... I didn't lose a single pound.  In ended at the exact same weight as when I started... to the ounce. 

Because I KNEW that I'd done everything in my power to lose the weight on my own I was ready for medical intervention.  I knew that the band wouldn't work for me because I was already able to control my eating and portion sizes.  So I knew that my body needed the "cut" of RNY to interrupt the cycle of insulin resistance and the metobolic syndrome that was causing my body to not lose weight.  But by the time I was ready for surgery I was so discouraged that I fully expected to fail and not lose any weight.  Imagine my surprise when it actually worked!!   I've lost 116 pounds and am just 20-30 pounds from my goal weight now. 

As for pre-op diet.  The best option is to eat like you would post-op.  Obviously with a full size stomach you'll need to eat larger portions but you can still do a calorie restricted diet that's high in protein, moderate in carbs and fat and low in sugar.  Maybe something like 1200-1400 calories with 40% being protein, 40% carbs, 20% fats.  Use a food log like www.fitday.com to help you track what you eat (measure everything!) and calculate the macronutrient balance.  And make sure you're sweating your butt off with brisk exercise most days of the week.

There's a forum here on OH for folks who have not had surgery and are losing weight with diet and exercise alone.  Check the forums link and see if you can track it down.  I think it's call non-op's or something like that. 

Good luck with your decision. 
Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active