Allergic to artifical sweetners - now what?

cbhjr98
on 5/7/09 6:10 pm
Does anyone have a protein powder that doesn't have ANY artificial sweetners in it? That's NO SPLENDA, NO ASPARTAME, nadda. I'm Anaphylactic to the artificial sweetners so it's not that I just dont like how they taste. Im 18 months post-op, at goal and trying to maintain.  Realize that no-artifical means more carbs and more calories but I also realize I need more protein. My doc would like me to get my protein from food but I"m just not able to eat enough to get it in.

The shake must taste good too! (Yeah, I know, now I"m asking for alot - LOL). ISOPure didn't do it for me either - it made me gag.

Your help is appriciated.

Cass

Starting BMI under 45? Join us on The Lightweight Board. 
HW:257ish / SW:205 / CW:110.4 / GW:119.99
blackburn.vicki
on 5/11/09 4:46 am
 Try Stevia, Xylitol, or Truvia they are all natural sweetners. Trader Joes carries Stevia health food stores Albertons and Vons carries Truvia.These are what I use.

Good Luck
Vicki
blackburn.vicki
on 5/11/09 4:49 am
 Oh NSI whey protein is made with it You can get 5lbs for 29.99 at Vitacost.com. It comes in Choc and Vanilla 
Vicki
AngelaEsq
on 5/11/09 7:34 am - Toms River, NJ
Make your own shake.  Any Whey tasteless protein powder, low carb milk, unsweetened cocoa, and peanut butter. If you need sweetener, try agave or stevia.  This I lived on in the beginning of my pregnancy, b/c I gave up artificial sweetners. 
H.A.L.A B.
on 5/11/09 2:40 pm
You can find good tasting protein shakes made with Stevia or Xilitol, or just some sugar (not too much).
Keep looking.  Try calling vitalady, visit Vit shoppe, GNC, Whole foods.  They usually have some samples.
Ask for a sample (you can call the  company direct) or buy the product and if you do not like it - mast have return policy. 
I do not envy you.  You probably will be healthier because of that, but we all like our protein bars, SF syrup, etc.

FYI: you can try concentrated Flavors,. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Shannon N.
on 5/22/09 3:16 pm - Livonia, MI
If you want a standard shake (chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, etc.), try Jay Robb Whey protein.  It is made with stevia.  I think Whole Foods still has it; if not, the website ships quickly.

There is also Nature's Way Metabolic Reset (chocolate is the best IMO), which is a meal replacement-type of shake, also made with stevia.  It's definitely best prepared with milk.

If you want a clear-type shake, there are Syntrax Nectar Naturals.  These are sweetened with stevia.

If you want something that is sweetened with a little sugar/honey, there is Optimum Nutrition's Oats & Whey.  It is a newer protein powder that combines oats & whey.  It has a little sugar and honey powder in it...my NUT okay it, though.  It is higher in calories, but it also has healthy carbs and fiber.

I don't really do artificial sweeteners either (VERY occasionally), so those are the protein powders I like.

As someone else mentioned, you can make your own with unflavored whey (Syntrax Nectar Medical or Optimum Nutrition Any Whey are good), cocoa powder, milk, and Truvia or agave.

As an alternative, how about Greek yogurt?  LOTS of protein...for example, 1/2 cup of Trader Joe's 2% Greek yogurt has 12 grams of protein.  You could also make a shake with it if you want.  Or how about Kefir?  That's also very high protein.  It's similar to yogurt, but drinkable.  It's very easy to make a shake with it -- you just blend it with berries or bananas or whatever.  You can find it at Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, or some other specialty markets.

Hope that helps! =)
Shannon
Surgery weight: 322
Highest weight: 360 (2004ish)  

Most Active