WHEY, SOY OR AMINO ACID PROTEIN ??

All-Of-Me1023
on 4/5/09 10:22 am

Hey everyone. I need some direction from those in the know. My nutrition class covered a short section on whey and soy protein and said those were the ones to look for. They said to avoid amino acid protrein. A friend told me about Pro-Stat 64 and said it was a great way to get in her protein, especially early on. What is the difference?

Pam T.
on 4/6/09 12:12 am - Saginaw, MI
Good morning!

Hey... we've got the same surgeon!  Are you going to the Hurley support meeting tonight at 5:30?  If so, look me up and introduce yourself.  (I"ll be the one who walks in late - or if you can't find me, just ask someone where Pam is.)

The highest quality protein is Whey Isolate Protein.  It's made of milk but has been processed down to the point of removing all fat and lactose (sugar) -- so when you look at the label it'll be all protein with not much of anything else (usually 0g fat, 0g carb and about 25g protein).  Whey Isolate is quickly absorbed and actually used by the body within about 45 minutes of being ingested.  Because Isolate is the best quality, it's also the most expensive - not outrageous, but not cheap either.

There's also Whey Concentrate Protein -- this is also a high quality protein, but it hasn't been processed as much as Isolate so you'll find some fat and lactose still in the mix.  Usually very small amounts (2g-6g each).   If you can't find a Isolate brand that works --- rather than buy just Concentrate, it's usually best to find a combination of Isolate and Concentrate (in that order) for a high quality but more economical choice.  I personally use a brand that's a combo and have had very good luck with it (Body Fortress from Walmart). 

Some people - not many -- are actually whey intolerant and have to use soy protein instead.  Soy protein doesn't come in as many flavors/brands and is harder to find.  I've also heard that it doesn't always mix in well with liquid and can sometimes be gritty or lumpy.  So people don't usually pick soy protein first.  It is a complete protein and high quality... but soy can also interfer with some medications (particularly throid meds). 

I would suggest getting samples.  I believe Hurley recommends getting the sample pack from www.enjoyhealth.com -- that's what I did.  Also www.netrition.com has a variety pack available.  I had to try about 4 dozen different flavors/brands before I found 2 or 3 that worked for me (and Body Fortress wasn't one of those at the beginning).

I've heard the Pro-Stat 64 is a good product.  I haven't tried it myself, but it might be worth a shot to see if it tastes good. 

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

All-Of-Me1023
on 4/6/09 7:18 am
 Thank you SO much for responding. I feel like I already know you as I have read so much on your website. I have found it very informative. I actually ordered two products and the sampler from www.enjoyhealth.com on Saturday. Do you always go to Flint for support groups?  Have you ever been to any in Saginaw or Bay City? I won't be going to any meeting tonight - my surgery is tomorrow morning @ 7:30 and I need to be @ Hurley @ 5:15 . My hubs or I will post in a few days. Thanks again!

Most Active