What should I be eating!? Realize Band

I got my Realize surgery on Friday and I am suppose to start my soft proteins tomorrow so it says on my discharge papers. I am worried about what to eat besides scrambled eggs & smashed up turkey and a little bit of cheese. I am worried that this may be too much too soon. I was thinking of buying strawberries, bananas and yogurt and making shakes and trying to continue on a fluid diet. Any advice?? I'm a bit worried, I am moving too fast, after doing research online that is contradicting what my Doctor's notes and binder say to do. Thanks so much!
Michael S.
on 3/23/09 12:28 pm - WI
REALIZE Band on 02/20/09 with
Hi, you need to progress as suggested.

Are you progressing from pureed to soft?

If so:

Fat Free Re-fried beans with cheese
Canned chicken and turkey (I like mine with low-fat miracle whip or mustard)
Eggs of course
Greek yogurt
Cottage Cheese

I had sloppy joe with ground turkey (just eat it slowly with a spoon), about 2-3 ounces at a meal and see how you do.   I also did ground turkey with taco spices and then put cheese and sour cream on top.

This is a VERY important transition!  You are now teaching your pouch how to contract when there is soft food in it.  Make sure you do this even if you feel like all you eat are eggs and beans for a while.  You have to make sure to train that pouch correctly!

Just remember to chew!

It's not a sign of weakness to seek help when you need it.
The only sign of weakness is NOT to seek the help you need.

530/428.6/363.0/200 (High/Surg/Cur/Goal)
7.0cc in my 9.5cc Band (Sweet Spot)

www.hungry2live.com - Winning my Battle Against Obesity Thanks to Weight Loss Surgery

Michael S.
on 3/23/09 12:29 pm - WI
REALIZE Band on 02/20/09 with
FYI my surgeon's office does the following:

Pureed food for 2 weeks starting from day 1
Then soft food for 1 week
Then start adding regular food.

--Mike

It's not a sign of weakness to seek help when you need it.
The only sign of weakness is NOT to seek the help you need.

530/428.6/363.0/200 (High/Surg/Cur/Goal)
7.0cc in my 9.5cc Band (Sweet Spot)

www.hungry2live.com - Winning my Battle Against Obesity Thanks to Weight Loss Surgery

Heather128
on 3/23/09 3:14 pm - Pensacola fl, FL
Well goodness I don't feel so bad about sneaking a bite of scrambled eggs in here and there lol. I am on phase 2 liquids 1 week out starting in the morning and that is mostly getting my protein from shakes lol.

Someone in my nutrition class who already had the surgery said that mashed potatoes with tuna mixxed in was good? Tilapia and grouper were 2 other fishes suggested that cooked up soft enough and you can flake it. They also make a protein powder you can sprinkle on or in your foods too. Add it right to your jello it has no flavor. I had the campbells bean and bacon soup strained and it was hi in protien. you prob. could puree the beans too and enjoy. It was certainly a great break for me from chicken noodle, lol. 

~ Starting my new life ~ Learning to Seize the Day ~ much  &  to me & all else on this journey. No more rollercoasters!   Heather Pardue ~  4/21 2cc added to band  

They had me on liquid diet for 3 days and then moving to soft proteins and soft food starting on my 4th post OP day. I know that every surgeon and office is different. I spoke to a girl I met in my banding class and she was to start eating food on her 3rd day, and gave me some advice too. I bought a lotttt of yogurt, to eat, to make shakes and maybe eat with fruit. I was just instructed to chew a lot and often. I have a couple post-OP classes and a post-OP appointment on Thursday this week. Thanks for writing me!
wildheart63
on 3/25/09 4:03 am - IL
i did alot of protein shakes with frozen fruit in them so they taste wonderfull. during the first few weeks cottage cheese was my friend too
lori

kaytiebugs
on 3/26/09 4:40 am - Flowery Branch, GA
My doc says two weeks liquids, two weeks mushys, then soft solids.... BUT all docs are different. If YOU aren't comfortable moving forward to soft foods then don't, it won't hurt you to stay on liquids for longer. The big thing is to not move forward before your doc says to. Some docs are more liberal than others.

If you do decide to eat some mushies, here's some suggestions- hummus, egg salad (make sure to get the egg good and smooth), tuna salad, chicken salad, refried beans, smoothies like you mentioned. I just got a fill yesterday so I'm on liquids today but tomorrow I start mushys for a couple of days and geez I can't wait.
Most Active