Plantain Banana

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/09 11:20 am - AZ
Following my usual, each time I go to the mega produce store I buy something I have never tried before.  Today it is a Plantain Banana.

Just what does one do with one of these things?  I thought it was just a banana... turns out, it's supposed to be like a potato.

How do you know when it is ripe?  Everything I have read offers a different opinion.

Thoughts?

TIA

(deactivated member)
on 3/21/09 3:24 pm
Plantains?  YUMMMMMMMMMM!

Green:  It's starchy, but not sweet.  Fry or boil it

Yellow:  Starting to get sweet.  I eat it plain and raw at this stage, but no one else I know does this.  Most will fry it, or boil and ma****  

Black (or nearly):  people use this for deserts:  Any place you would use banana, and in the same way.

Typically, I fry the slices in a little oil until they are caramelized, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.  
(deactivated member)
on 3/22/09 12:20 am - AZ
On March 21, 2009 at 10:24 PM Pacific Time, charming wrote:
Plantains?  YUMMMMMMMMMM!

Green:  It's starchy, but not sweet.  Fry or boil it

Yellow:  Starting to get sweet.  I eat it plain and raw at this stage, but no one else I know does this.  Most will fry it, or boil and ma****  

Black (or nearly):  people use this for deserts:  Any place you would use banana, and in the same way.

Typically, I fry the slices in a little oil until they are caramelized, and sprinkle with powdered sugar.  

I'm going to try it both ways.  Let it get black and try it raw and the other one I'll fry it.  Thanks!

Emily_Rose
on 3/22/09 12:18 am - Fort Worth, TX
this is a very popular fruit in ElSalvador.  my SIL is from there and she slices and  fries them (she waits till they are allmost black) then eats them with cream.  They are pretty good.  when I went there for my brothers wedding they were allways srved for breakfast at the motel we stayed at.
(deactivated member)
on 3/22/09 12:25 am - AZ
On March 22, 2009 at 7:18 AM Pacific Time, Emily_Rose wrote:
this is a very popular fruit in ElSalvador.  my SIL is from there and she slices and  fries them (she waits till they are allmost black) then eats them with cream.  They are pretty good.  when I went there for my brothers wedding they were allways srved for breakfast at the motel we stayed at.

HA!  Not exactly low calorie and low carb! ;o)

I'm not a fan of cream but frying them and trying them different ways sounds good!

Stupid question but this is a fruit, right?

bursonc
on 4/7/09 6:36 am
check recipes on foodnetwork.com
Most Active