any dieticians have opinion on prostat 64?

hamspam
on 3/20/09 3:16 pm - Downey, CA
I found this protein supplement prostat 64.  It supposedly has all of the essential amino acids and some rating that says it has 100% of the amino acid profile outlined by the institutes of health...whatever that means.    So, any dieticians have a professional opinion on this?  I have heard that hydrolyzed collagen protein (which this is based on)  is no good.  Anyone know if this is ok for first few weeks post op?  It is appealing because it has 15 grams in just 1 ounce.
Thanks!
Heather (aka Hamspam)
5'3" - HW: 228  SW: 220  CW: 135  GW: 125

Pam T.
on 3/23/09 11:38 pm - Saginaw, MI
Anything that is based on collagen protein isn't the greatest option for us. However, ProStat appears to have added the one missing essential amino acid that collagen protein is missing, so they are attempting to make it a complete protein. 

So is it good for us?  Technically, your'e getting a very low quality protein that's been doctored up to make it a complete protein.  So it might be fine as a supplement to other high quality protein sources... but I don't think I'd use it as my sole protein source.

Here's an excerpt from my profile regarding some research I've done on collagen protein:

Collagen Protein:
This is the main protein of connective tissue in animals and the most abundant protein in mammals, making up about 25% of the whole-body protein content.  When broken down, collagen becomes a gelatin used in many foods such as Jell-O type desserts.  It’s also used in cosmetics, pharmacology and photography industry for the production of various products. Collagen and gelatin are poor-quality protein sources since they do not contain all the essential amino acids that the human body requires - they are not complete proteins.

FLUFF WORDS -- ...  and hydrolyzed just means that the protein has been "broken down" into it's basic amino acid component.

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

sarard
on 4/3/09 10:26 am - Costa Mesa, CA
 Prostat 64 - it's new to me, but it seems like a good choice.  Especially since it has 15 g of protein per ounce.  

Regarding complete vs. incomplete proteins.  As long as you are eating food along with this supplement, you do not need to worry about complete vs. incomplete proteins.  It's still protein, and your body will still use it.  

The main thing you need to be sure of right now: get enough protein-- PERIOD.   At this point, your goal is to just get enough in.  And, at 15 g per ounce, it should be easier to get your recommended amount of protein per day.

Good luck.
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active