Critique my menu....PLEASE!

wvphotogirl
on 3/19/09 9:53 am - St. Albans, WV
I am 7 months post op and am not sure if i am doing stuff "right". I have lost 110 pounds but then just quit. I have stopped dead in my tracks.....

So, what are the BEST foods for success?

For breakfast I eat two eggs and half a piece of dry whole wheat toast. Lunch will be chicken, tuna or salad in 1/2 a flax seed wrap or 1/2 flax pita. Snacks are always cheese sticks or a soy/meat protein and dinner is almost always a chicken based meal or tilapia (fish) or another salad w/ meat on it. Dessert is a SF jello pudding cup or some special k 90 calorie crackers w/ light laughing cow cheese on them. If i am out and about i will get a 4 piece nugget or cup of refried beans from taco bell.

If going to a Chinese restaurant I eat steamed shrimp or fish or egg drop soup. At Mexican restaurants i get refried beans and eat some of my hubby's fajita chicken. Never any chips, rice, or tortillas, etc.

Please critique (Offer alternatives to, etc.) this menu!!!!! I want to do the right things.
HOPEisHERE
on 3/19/09 11:42 pm - CA
When you go to mexican resturants, always ask if they use LARD. "manteca" Always ask. I would just eat the whole beans. But I havent had surgery yet nor have I been to NUT. But, I do know most mexican resturants use lard. You have to ask. And Chinese....lots of sodium Im sure, MSG...etc. You need to consult your NUT. You dont want to gain all that weight back.
Pam T.
on 3/20/09 12:06 am - Saginaw, MI
Your menu looks good to me.  It seems that you are making good choices all around.  I'd skip the 4-pc nugget option and go for Wendy's chili instead (although I've personally done the nuggest, I know it's not the best choice because it's deep fried). 

My only concern is that it seems a bit short on protein.  Do you know how many grams you're getting per day?  My best guess is around 60g/day... unless there's a protein shake in there somewhere that you didn't mention?  Try to shoot for 80-100g per day and see if the scale moves.  A good rule of thumb is that for every 1oz of lean meat, it contains about 7g protein.

Your carb choices seem very good and whole grain based.  But I don't see many veggies or fruits on the list.  Don't skip the veggies, your body needs the nutrients.  The refried beans at a mexican joint might be packed with fat... you might be better off ordering your own fajita plate and eating the chicken/shrimp/beef and veggies and taking a doggie bag home for lunch the next day. 

How many calories are you taking in?  Your body will stop losing if you're not eating enough just as much as it'll stop if you're eating too much.  So make sure you're getting the right balance -- and that'll be a game of experimentation to find that right balance. 

Also remember that exercise is a HUGE factor in weight loss.  As well as drinking enough water (water flushes out the used up fat toxins). 

Good job on the 110lbs!  You're doing great!

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

wvphotogirl
on 3/20/09 1:21 am - St. Albans, WV
Thanks for the feedback. I am in the process of trying to add a protein shake into the mix. I have yet to find one that doesn't make me gag. I have bought over $100 worth of different brands to try. ALL of them make me throw up. I eat lots of chicken and turkey for protein. I think i am getting close to 80 grams a day. I will admit I don't eat many veggies other than broccoli and lettuce. :(
I eat lots of strawberries, too.
Pam T.
on 3/20/09 1:31 am - Saginaw, MI
I hear you on the protein powders.  I had to try about 4 dozen different brands/flavors before I found 2 or 3 that worked for me.  I started out with the 21-flavor pack of samples from www.enjoyhealth.com and then got some ala carte samples from www.bariatriceating.com.  You can also buy samples at www.netrition.com and www.vitalady.com.

I'm currently addicted to my Protein Hot Chai Tea mix that uses vanilla protein powder (I use Body Fortress from Walmart) and some powdered milk and spices.  Here's the recipe:
http://pamtremble.blogspot.com/2009/02/protein-hot-chai-mix. html

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

tisha_jill
on 3/20/09 8:59 am
Pam -
Your website/blog is awsome!  Thank you so much for sharing the wonderful articles on vitamin/mineral supplementation.

Protein Hot Chai Tea - is this highly cafinated?
Tisha

Pam T.
on 3/20/09 11:39 am - Saginaw, MI
 Protein Hot Chai Tea - is this highly cafinated?

Not if you buy the decaffeinated tea mix.  :-)

kimkrech
on 4/16/09 1:00 pm - MN
Hello,
My name is Kim, and I am 4 years post-op.  I have spent hundreds of dollars on protien drinks, before I found one that I could drink.  It is called 100% Any Whey.  It is pretty much taste free, and you can mix it with anything from coffee, to juice to water etc....I drink it in my coffee.  It has 17g of protien per scoop.  The best place to get it is online, and I order mine from www.nicemuscle.com
They do sell it at GNC, however, you will pay twice as much for it.  Great job by the way on the weight loss!!  Let me know how you like it if you happen to try it.  Take care and have a great night.
HOPEisHERE
on 3/22/09 6:41 am - CA
Thanx pam, Thats such helpful info. I will check out your links. Thanx again.
Megan S.
on 4/5/09 9:38 am - Brighton, MA
Have you thought to try thr Unjury unflavored protien powder? you can get a sample packet from the company for $2.

~Meg
starting/surgery/current/goal -- 280/252/191.5/155

Most Active