Help! I am 4 days from surgery and don't know what to expect

(deactivated member)
on 3/13/09 1:25 am
I went in yesterday for my final pre-op appointment with my surgeon.  I was just left waiting 45 minutes (without a magazine) in a room for him to come in.  The little pamphlet I was given said a nurse would explian to me what would happen after surgery (sdcheduled for 7:30 am this coming Monday).  Nothing!  When the doctor came in I asked him for information.  he said the nurses "down stairs" would do this.  I went down for pre-op blood, urine tests but they said they knew nothing about the lapBand particulars (ie what liquids I would be eating for 1st week and what to expect)  They were just there to collect data on me.  I was given a booklet that outlined foods from 3 weeks on-ward but I am still mystified as to what to expect.  I know I will be drinking broth, eating popcicles etc but I need a bit more information.  I am thinking I might pick up the information I need post op while staying over night for observation But any information will be helpful to me.  I am not impressed by support staff of surgeon at this point and also when I was in the office yesterday I discovered that my insurance Blue Cross will no longer consider this outfit as in-covered or whatever the term is as of April.  My insurance is covering my surgery that is happening this month and I understand that after care for 90 days out is still covered at 90% but thereafter it will be less coverage...
Brenda Bean
on 3/13/09 8:21 am - Okemah, OK
Hello Tumbleweed,

I had lapband surgery on 1/22/09... so I am just a few months out... I went in to the sugrical center at 6 a.m. surgery was at 7:30 a.m and I was on the road home by 11:00 a.m.   before i was allowed to leave the nurses made sure that I could suck on ice and keep down the fluid without throwing up.   I slept all the way home... walked myself into the house and slept the rest of the day.   the only things i was allowed all day  were water or 100% fruit juice (I now hate and I mean hate White Grape Juice)   the second day I was allowed water, juice and jello.  by the third day i was told to go back on my high protein shakes or my carnation instant breakfast shakes... I was on those for a week.   I was told before surgery not to eat or drink anything red  espeically Red jello just so they can tell if it is blood you are throwing up.   since you are staying in the hospital for observation i am sure they are going to make sure you eat or sip soup and are able to keep it down... it will be broth and not that good but it will taste good to you... I purchased a magic bulliet... to wizz things and for my first week of broths, water, juice, shakes and jello it was the best thing... Now since I have had the band I have learned a few things...in the morning i can not eat a lot mainly just drink shakes... so I wizz one up and drink it on the way to work.... My Nutritionist suggested EAS Protein mix for me... but I have since learned a few other things that are good...Syntrax makes a protein powder called Nectar that comes in several other flavors besides chocolate and vanilla... and can be mixed with water or milk.   the EAS i mixed with 1% MIlk only way to drink it... but the Nectar I got was Strawberry Kiwi and I mixed it with water it didn't taste bad at all...feel free to contact me if you need more information... believe me it is a major learning situation... it is like you learn to eat all over again..

Brenda

Look at me I have lost 61 lbs... God Is great...                      

BJC
on 3/19/09 3:56 am
Brenda i just have to jump in and say your doing wonderful....B
Most Active