How much protein do i need??

Jennifer B.
on 3/10/09 12:44 pm - Dallas, Tx

Hello Everyone! just wanting to know how much protein i need to have?? I am almost 4 yrs post op and trying to jump start and get back on track. I currently weigh right at 350. I have the SRVG, which is a verson of the vbg. I have had nothing but problems, but it is finally getting better..
I am just needing to know how much protein I need each day... and how much at each sitting??

Thanks so much!!

Jennifer

wendy_fou
on 3/10/09 1:54 pm - AR
Most surgeons recommend 60 grams minimum per day.

Although there is no "cap" on the amount of protein that the body can absorb at one time, it is best to get protein in (as with everything else) as evenly throughout the day as possible since the body USES it resources fairly evenly throughout the day. 
aallen8787
on 3/27/09 2:18 am
I was told by my nut that your body can only absorp around 30 grams of protein at a time and you should try to wait about 2 hours between eating protein. She said 60-70 is the minimum but you want to aim for 80-90 grams per day.
wendy_fou
on 3/31/09 7:42 pm - AR
Your nut was misinformed. 

Per the article on bariatric post-op nutrition (published in March 2008 on the American Society of Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery's website - see the SOARD boards' history for the article titled "Bariatric Nutrition: Suggestions for the Surgical Weight Loss Patient"),

"One popular myth is that only 30 g/hr of protein can be absorbed. Although this is commonly found in both lay and some professional reports, there is no scientific basis for this claim. It is possible that,from a volume standpoint, patients might only realistically consume 30 g/meal of protein during the first year." 

sarard
on 4/3/09 10:30 am - Costa Mesa, CA
 Get a new dietitian.  This one is way off.  Who knows what other information she is giving you that is wrong too.

I totally agree with Wendy ....

Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
aallen8787
on 4/11/09 6:41 pm, edited 4/11/09 6:42 pm
Thanks for the info. I've actually heard other people (in my pre-op classes) not just my nut that I shouldn't eat more than 30 grams of protein at at time. They said it's not bad if you do, but your body isn't going to absorb it so you're basically wasting the protein.
sarard
on 4/12/09 2:31 am - Costa Mesa, CA
 And that's not correct information.  Your body does not have a limit on how much protein you can absorb at one time. 
Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active