Question about oils

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/09 11:51 am - AZ
I really truly overhauled my diet after surgery and I maintain easily at this point due to surgery and food choices.  The majority of my diet is veggies (MMmmmmm!).  But I need some help and suggestions.

My all time favorite food is a huge assortment of steamed veggies with soy sauce and a verrry small amount of Sesame oil.  I'd like a little variety, what other flavored oils can I try?  I want something that just a touch of oil will provide flavor.  For 3 cups of steamed vegges I used about 1/4 tsp of sesame oil.  I'm trying to avoid cheeses and similar foods.

What else can I try?  A good oil, not a bad one. ;o)

Also, I found this ... thing, at the grocery store.  It looks like a green tomato all wrapped up.  I'm sure you peel the leaf thing off of it.  It tastes a bit like a cross between an apple and tomato. I've been putting them on salads.  What are they and what are you supposed to do with them?

Each time I go to the mega store (huge produce dept) I try something I've never tried before.  Sometimes it's fun and tastes good and I've been shocked at how vile some foods can be. ;o)  But it's fun to try.  This was on my last "new produce item" trip.

TIA!
Lori G.
on 2/28/09 1:08 pm - CA
Aloha MWG-
The last nutrition talk I went to had excellent handouts on different foods- eg optimal non starchy veg choices, High GI vs Low GI foods, etc. One of the things  listed was oils- good (MUFAs, omega3's). Olive oil- some have flavor and it's a MUFA. Never tried it but Flaxseed oil is listed, as is walnut oil ( I make some of my salad dressings with walnut oil and pear vinegar, like the combo). Another interesting thing- some sat fats are better for you than trans fats and synthetic fats- so use them ( sparingly)- whipped butter, coconut milk and coconut oil ( and I know there's flavor in that). Maybe when using a less flavorful oil you can add some seeds ( sunflower, pumpkin) or nuts ( pine nuts) to flavor your veggies?
Good luck- XOLori

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/09 1:26 pm - AZ
On February 28, 2009 at 9:08 PM Pacific Time, Lori G. wrote:
Aloha MWG-
The last nutrition talk I went to had excellent handouts on different foods- eg optimal non starchy veg choices, High GI vs Low GI foods, etc. One of the things  listed was oils- good (MUFAs, omega3's). Olive oil- some have flavor and it's a MUFA. Never tried it but Flaxseed oil is listed, as is walnut oil ( I make some of my salad dressings with walnut oil and pear vinegar, like the combo). Another interesting thing- some sat fats are better for you than trans fats and synthetic fats- so use them ( sparingly)- whipped butter, coconut milk and coconut oil ( and I know there's flavor in that). Maybe when using a less flavorful oil you can add some seeds ( sunflower, pumpkin) or nuts ( pine nuts) to flavor your veggies?
Good luck- XOLori

Hey Lori!

It's so good to see you over here!

We have this cool little grocery store chain, "Fresh & Easy" and I do most of my shopping there because I love their produce but they don't have the weird stuff that the mega store has.  I found some Italian Olive Oil that I use on weird bread dough I buy there.  Fantastic stuff.  I was thinking about trying that with a little garlic powder.

I was thinking about trying Flaxseed oil too but I wasn't sure what that was supposed to taste like.  Ever try it?

Btw, I am soooo impressed with your weight loss!  You have done a fantastic job.  I don't think I have ever seen anyone lose as you have.  You are obviously doing everything exactly right.

Congrats to you!

Lori G.
on 2/28/09 4:10 pm - CA

Thank you and no one is more astounded than I at this loss, believe me!
I haven't yet tried the flaxseed oil but I bet your store has it and if they have a small deli, they might even have open bottles to make some of their salds and slaws.
I love the fact that I have Farmer's Markets here year round- going tomorrow am before workout!
PM me your personal email and I'll send the nutrition sheets- XOLori

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/09 1:33 am - AZ
On March 1, 2009 at 12:10 AM Pacific Time, Lori G. wrote:

Thank you and no one is more astounded than I at this loss, believe me!
I haven't yet tried the flaxseed oil but I bet your store has it and if they have a small deli, they might even have open bottles to make some of their salds and slaws.
I love the fact that I have Farmer's Markets here year round- going tomorrow am before workout!
PM me your personal email and I'll send the nutrition sheets- XOLori

I've been watching your weight loss and I am totally impressed.  You are the poster child for VSG!  VSG... an amazing surgery!  I love it!

I have a great produce manager at my mega grocery store.  He has all kinds of weirdness in there.  He caught me one time before I checked out and warned me about something I had in my shopping cart, I *think* it was Yucca root.  I didn't know what I was going to do with it but wanted to try.  He warned me that it is poisonous before cooking, after cooking it is absolutely fine but knowing me, he knew I didn't have a clue what I was buying.

Who knew you could kill yourself in the produce aisle? ;o)

With produce I try to eat 5 colors a day.  Yellow squash, green broccoli, etc.  So far it is working for me.

Yes!  I'd very much appreciate the nutrition sheets!  I'll PM you now.  Thank you!
JoyceB
on 3/1/09 1:24 am - IL
You might have to try more specialty stores, but some yummy oils are walnut, hazelnut, macadamia nut and infused oils (sort of flavored with herbs and spices).  They're all pretty yummy and on the healthier side of oils.

As for the green tomato thing that is all wrapped up...I am pretty sure you are talking about a "Tomatillo" (tome - ah - tee - yo), also called a "husk tomato".  It is a little larger than a golf ball and has an almost paper-like leaf around it and sometimes the skin feels a little sticky.  They are used heavily in mexican foods, especially salsas and sauces (like the sauce on enchilladas verde).  You can eat them raw or cooked and are pretty versatile.

Enjoy! 

day of surgery - 296      current goal - 195      highest ('98) - est'd 320
(deactivated member)
on 3/1/09 1:39 am - AZ
On March 1, 2009 at 9:24 AM Pacific Time, JoyceB wrote:
You might have to try more specialty stores, but some yummy oils are walnut, hazelnut, macadamia nut and infused oils (sort of flavored with herbs and spices).  They're all pretty yummy and on the healthier side of oils.

As for the green tomato thing that is all wrapped up...I am pretty sure you are talking about a "Tomatillo" (tome - ah - tee - yo), also called a "husk tomato".  It is a little larger than a golf ball and has an almost paper-like leaf around it and sometimes the skin feels a little sticky.  They are used heavily in mexican foods, especially salsas and sauces (like the sauce on enchilladas verde).  You can eat them raw or cooked and are pretty versatile.

Enjoy! 

I just realized that these... Tomatillos would be great for Pico de gallo.  I make my own as well as my own refried beans.  I'm NO cook but if I make my own refried beans for tortillas, etc., it doesn't have lard as in the canned type.  I can season it the way I like it.  I only have to make it once a week and in the crock pot it's no big deal.

I think the stork dropped me in the wrong country, I should have been born in MX, they have great food!

Thanks, I couldn't figure out what this thing was called.  The store I buy them from is a small Mexican store and things are not labeled as in a typical US grocery store.

wendy_fou
on 3/8/09 2:14 pm - AR
You're talking about a tomatillo.  People use them to make homemade salsa a lot. 
Most Active