not sure what to do

cathy41tired
on 2/21/09 9:58 am - Tuttle, OK
I have an appointment with my doc Monday,  Here is my problem: I am two 1/2 years out for RNY
I exercise 3 times a week, a lot of tuna, shrimp chicken (main staples), vegies. Caloric intake at 1200 to 1500. I don't drink soda, I drink all my water(not with my food), my thyroid was good last we checked, I take all my vitamins. I had a complete hysterectomy 2 years ago, starting gaining weight, first I blamed my weight gain on that.. plus I wasn't sleeping well. Now sleeping is under control and iweight is still going up. I have done the 5DPT  and mostly it proves to me my restriction is still there, I still eat on a small plate and measure my food. Any suggestions, any thing you have went through similar??   Help

Cathy

TaliTali
on 2/21/09 12:38 pm - Sammamish, WA
I didn't have the RNY but this is not an uncommon issue.

You say you are getting 1200-1500 calories - what is making up those calories? Is it all your protein or is it other foods?

Protein is king when it comes to weight loss and maintenance. You don't mention how much you are getting in a day. You should be getting 50 + grams a day. Your body will use protein in one of two ways. If you need to lose weight you'll drop weight when you up your protein and if you don't need to lose you'll maintain.

Pam T.
on 2/22/09 10:55 pm - Saginaw, MI
It's good that you're taking action now to get the regain under control.  It sounds like you're doing everything right, so hopefully your doctor will have some suggestions on figuring out what's the root of the problem. 

My only suggestion might be the exercising thing.  Are you changing up your routine regularly?  Are you doing any strength training?  How much cardio are you doing.  Are you sweating your butt off during your workouts?  If you're doing the same exercise all the time, your body gets used to it and learned how to do it more efficiently.  So every 4 to 6 weeks you need to change your routine.  If you walk, try riding a bike.  If you swim, try the treadmill.  Also adding weight training will help to build muscle... and we know that mucle requires more calories to sustain itself so you'll be burning more energy even when you're not exercising.   Maybe shoot for 4 days of exercise a week instead of 3. 

You might also want to have your RMR tested.  This will give you an exact gage of how many calories your body needs.  I had mine done in December and realized my body need 1450 calories per day to just survive and function -- not including any extra I'd need to work, walk around or exercise.  I had mine done on a BodyGem.  You can find a consultant in your area that offers it on this website: 
http://www.microlifeusa.com/products_weightmanage.asp?gclid= CKHW5LWvsZcCFQOcFQodtEeUiQ

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active