Question

Leah P.
on 2/17/09 2:20 am - Indianapolis, IN
I am puzzled over something.  I had my LapRNY in October of 2008. I am minding my p's and q's.  I do what I am supposed to be doing... eating the things I am supposed to... not eating the things I am not supposed to.  Exercising and really working my "tool" correctly. 
I attend support groups with several people who had the same surgery as me... in relatively the same time frame.  However, they are eating sugar...breads...snacking(chips, cookies/candy)...drinking their calories and not exercising.  But they are still losing pretty much the same as me.  I am not complaining at all.  I am just perplexed as to how this can be. 
I thought the success of the surgery had alot to do with behavior modification?
Is the "honeymoon" period going to do this regardless of what some eat? 
I am just puzzled.
I am not going to change what I am doing.  Just curious as to how this can happen.  I am in this for the long haul. 
Blessings to you all, Leah   
Nancy H.
on 2/17/09 5:20 am - CA
Hi Leah,

I am happy you are following the rules and you should be too. I know I could not eat bread, the middles anyway, until I was over a year out. I still do mostly crusts. I just feel uneasy if I do more. I want to feel a little sick if I misuse my pouch. At 6 months, I was doing about 600 calories a day and I have stayed healthy all this time. So keep doing what you are doing. I know of many people who had surgery the same time as I did who are already having a bit of trouble keeping it off. I think some of them drank and ate too early. I believe in behavior modification - a reworking of the brain is what I feel I got with my surgery.

Stay true to your pouch and yourself,

nancy

Katrina B.
on 2/18/09 12:15 pm - Prestonsburg, KY
Hi Leah,

In my opinion, long term success depends on changing bad habits during your "honeymoon" phase. In the beginning it's almost impossible to "gain" when you're so fresh out of surgery. They probably are thinking they can enjoy these bad things and still lose, but trust me in the long haul it won't work.
That was my problem, I didn't change bad habits and now that I am 2 1/2 years post-op I am paying for it.
Keep your eyes on the prize (so to speak) you're doing great.

Katrina
Most Active