Celiac Disease and post op eating

ReneeW
on 1/29/09 11:49 pm - IL
Hi I will be 1 year out from my RNY March 3rd, and have lost over 100 lbs, which is great. Although I have the problem where I was told by the dietician to eat whole grains, which is great except when you can't. I can't because I have CD, so whole grains are out. Before surgery the Nut. worked with me on my 6 month diet. When I asked her afterwards what I was supposed to do when everyone is eating whole grains, she replied well you don't have to eat any of those things. Ok I want to be able to have something sometime. Like a tortilla pizza, but can't use the whole wheat ones. Anyone have any advice. I am doing pretty well so far but I eat a limited diet of proteins as meat and cheese, and a small amount of veggies that don't bother my pouchie. I sure could use some input, and possibly some expert advice. Thanks much!

ReneeW

This weight loss ruler can track your weight loss towards your goal. Display your progress in pounds or kilograms.

Create Your Own Ticker Create a New Ticker

DeblovesJohn
on 2/2/09 12:28 am - Anytown, SC
If possible, I would go back to the NUT and ask, Well, what high-fiber foods can I eat?  My Mama was diagnosed with gluten intolerance (sprue) in 99 and there weren't as many gluten-free foods available in the stores as there are today.  Maybe there are gluten-free substitutes that don't taste like 'you-know-what' that you can try.  I wish you the best.  You don't want to malabsorb due to RNY and Celiac.  That's a concern of mine too since the disease is hereditary.  Deb
ReneeW
on 2/3/09 6:59 am - IL
Thanks Deb, I know there are some good items, and then some that are just plain horrible. I got to try some of them before the surgery. The thing is they are made with either rice, potato, or corn, and those are the things we are told to avoid. I don't want to do the wrong thing and eat them, and gain weight, just want to be able to have some choices of things I can. The Nut. did not seem too interested in helping me anymore than to say just don't eat any carb then. Seems kind of crazy to me. I understand the whole grain and it being better for people, just not for people like me.

This weight loss ruler can track your weight loss towards your goal. Display your progress in pounds or kilograms.

Create Your Own Ticker Create a New Ticker

Most Active