calcium and iron in same product??

debbieposner
on 1/28/09 6:43 am
Hi all,

There have been many postings about how calcium and iron bind to each other so that your body doesn't get either and therefore you have to take your iron supplement two hours after you eat or take your calcium pills.

So what happens when they are combined in food, and in your multivite? Are they just shining us on? Are they also "unavailable" in these cir****tances?

Thanks in advance
Pam T.
on 1/29/09 10:34 pm - Saginaw, MI
Calcium and iron use the same cell receptors in the body for absorption.  Calcium is bigger and badder, so it always wins... and the iron gets excreted from the body in feces. 

However, that only happens when we are taking 300mg or more of calcium at the same time as we take iron.  So the small amount of calcuim/iron combined in a multi-vitamin isn't a big deal.  Also the small amount of calcium in food when combined with iron-based food  -- for instance, there's about 300mg of calcium in a 8oz glass of milk, so use that as a guide for the upper limit. 
Also remember that we don't absorb all the micronutrients (vitamins) from the food we eat after gastric bypass because the site of absorption is gone.  There are other factors that can inhibit calcium or iron absorption too.  For instance, caffeine in amounts above 400mg can interfer with calcium absorption and tannins in tea and coffee can interfer with iron absorption. 

So much to learn, huh? 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

debbieposner
on 1/29/09 10:55 pm
Pam,

Thank you so much. I knew I could count on you or Foobear or any number of others to come to my rescue.

Debbie
Most Active