Thoughts on Viactiv......

glitzigirl
on 1/26/09 12:26 am - Teaneck, NJ
I have been faithfully taking citrical because I know we are supposed to have calcium citrate due to absorption, but taking 6 pills a day is really getting to me.; Has anyone tried the Viactiv and had their levels tested? I will have my 1 year bloodwork next month which will be great I am sure because I have been faithful with the vitamins, but they make me sooooooooooo NAUSEOUS!!!! I have tried with meals, 30 mins after, 60 mins after.....SICK SICK SICK. I also found www.bodybuilding.com where they sell calcium citrate capsule that have 750mg each so I would only need 2 a day. HELP!!!!!!!!!!
(deactivated member)
on 1/26/09 12:34 am
I work in the health field and have seen women who have had the surgery and either didn't take vitamins or thought it was ok to take viactiv.  Don't do it, it's not worth it.  Have you tried any of the bariatric lozenges?  One more thing, our bodies can only absorb about 500 mg of calcium at a time (dont' quote me on that...hopefully someone will clarify that for us).

I'm a newbie so I don't have the best advice but you'll be in my prayers.

Angie
Pam T.
on 1/26/09 10:53 pm - Saginaw, MI
Viactive is calcium carbonate --- the wrong kind of calcium.

As for the capsules.  750mg is more than your body can deal with at a time (limit doses to 400-500mg) and that product does not include any Vitamin D.  So you'd need to supplement extra D besides that pill.  Try dissolving your citracal in water -- it takes about 10 minutes and is tasteless.

Calcium deficiencies do not show up in blood work.  The body will automatically keep your blood calcium levels perfect by leaching what it needs from your bones. 

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

glitzigirl
on 1/26/09 11:17 pm - Teaneck, NJ
so the citrical petites will dissolve in water and they have no taste? Hmmmmm.....I will definitely try that. I am so desperate. I literaly feel green after I take the vitamins every day and twice a day at that. I will try anything that will work. Thanks!
Pam T.
on 1/26/09 11:24 pm - Saginaw, MI
Yep, it works great.  I actually have dissolved in crystal light since I don't really do plain water.  There's a bit of grit at the bottom of the glass, but it's no big deal to just chug it down.

YOu should be taking at least 3 doses of calcium per day -- in 500mg doses each.  The ASMBS recommends we take 1500-2000mg calcium per day.

Here's a piece I wrote on my profile  yesterday about the details of calcium
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/pwsammy/blog/2009/01/26/ca lcium-citrate-vs--calcium-carbonate/

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

mema_bechel
on 1/29/09 6:35 am - Cottage Grove, MN
I am 18 months post of RNY and have been taking Viactiv Calcium chews (one twice daily) for the last year. My calcium is great according to my last blood work up earlier this month.
Ramona

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/09 11:09 am
your bloodwork may not show a deficiency in calcium until it's really serious since the body has a tendecy to compensate by pulling calcium from your bones.  i would talk to an educated/registered nut about that.
Losin S.
on 3/22/09 10:58 am - Mays Landing, NJ
I just found out that I too have been taking the wrong calcium pills for over 4 yrs now. I am so mad. My labs were always fine too.. but a few weeks ago I noticed my pinky toe nails had fallen off to where the skin is. I looked again tonight and my big toe nails just flaked right off. It has to be the vitamin deficiency. My finger nails are fine, I have acrylic nails. My teeth have issues.. but not bad yet. I just pray I can fix the damage!
P.S. My doc also told me to take flinstones...so I am really screwed up! I thought my doctor knew best.
cwiller
on 3/23/09 4:55 pm - Pasco, WA
I have not tried it. However, I do take my calcium in liquid form and you can find it in many flavors at Super Suppliments. I take lemon and it is quite good.
sarard
on 4/3/09 10:36 am - Costa Mesa, CA
 Calcium citrate is the best source of calcium at this time.  Although you can probably get by with Viactiv, I wouldn't chance it.  I mean, it is your bones we're talking about.  Try Pam's suggestion.  Sounds like a good option.  Viactiv and other calcium carbonate supplements should be your last option.  

Sara Nejat-Bina, RD, CNSD, CDE
Registered Dietitian
Most Active