getting worried

petelaf16
on 1/25/09 8:41 am - Bardonia, NY
I had RNY about 4 years ago. It was a success and I have kept the weight off. Now, I've gained 25 lbs. Besides exercise(which I am starting again...promise;-), can someone remind me of other ways people who have had our surgery can regain control. I remember something about consuming lots of protein...like drinks? I live in Korea though, so I may not have access to any relative products. Thanks.
(deactivated member)
on 1/26/09 12:37 am
Congratulations with the success that you've had with her surgery.  I myself am only 3 weeks out so I probably am not that helpful.  I seen the veterans talk about going  back to the basics as in what you did right after surgery such as protein shakes etc.  Some of these items can be ordered online.  Just check to see if they deliver to Korea.

I wish you the best and I think there is a forum on OH for veteran post ops.
petelaf16
on 1/26/09 10:23 am - Bardonia, NY
thank you for your kind reply and congratulations on your courage. you can do anything you want to do now...just be healthy. good luck with your future success!
Pam T.
on 1/26/09 10:59 pm - Saginaw, MI
Here are the basic rules:

* Protein first (80-100g/day) --- basically 2 bites of protein, 1 bite of something else
* Pick healthy carbs (fruit, veggies, legumes, dairy and whole grains)
* Avoid simple carbs (the "white" stuff:  bread, pasta, rice, sugar, flour, potatoes)
* Fiber is good and you should shoot for 25-30g per day
* Keep the sugar under control - no more than 9g per meal
* Keep fat under control -- no high fat, deep fried slabs of meat (healthy fats are good)
* Keep track of every morsel of food that passes your lips.  Even if you're not tracking calories, your body is.
* Get all your water -- 64oz per day.
* No drinking with meals or for 30-60 minutes after meals
* Exercise your butt off... if you're not sweating, you're not working hard enough
* Be religious with your vitamins and supplements.  2 multi-vitamins per day, B-50 complex, B12, calcium, iron.... get the basicshere (chart on page 7)

You're far enough out that you can easily get all your protein needs from foods -- lean meats and high protein dairy.  If you want to do protein shakes, you can... but I doubt you'd need them this far out if you can get 100g protein per day from food.

Stick around here on OH.  There is lots of support and so many great people who will help you get rid of those 25 pounds and get your butt back on track with the program.  :-)

Pam

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

sunny1nancy
on 1/29/09 5:41 am - Winchester, CA
Hi there, I had the same problem, 6 years post op and gained 40 pounds.  I read about a great website to help.  www.5daypouchtest.com  I completed the 5 days and really feel in control again.  Good luck and keep us posted.

Nancy
Most Active