PLEASE PLEASE ADVISE. . .

doxie.sweet
on 1/19/09 5:07 am

Hi. My name is Shannon. I am 5 years post op and need some serious advice. I went from 290 lbs to 155 lbs and felt great. Then, 2 years ago, a personal travesty struck, and I have balloned back up to 205 lbs. After 2 years of inner healing and growth, I am ready to finally attack the weight gain.....but, theres one problem....

The thought of eating meat discusts me. I think chicken and beef is foul. BUT, I have found a diet that I love and enjoy emencely. I have found freedom from eating junk, slider foods, and those mega calorie mochas....I have been juicing. I love my juicier! fresh veggies and fruits are the best! BUT, I am getting virtually zero protein.

Here is a question:

Being that I am 5 years out, is a vegetarian diet even an option for me?

I have found unflavored whey protein powder that I have added to my juice. in the morning and night. this provides about 40 grams of whey protein. Is whey protein an acceptable?

The thought of going back to a meat protein based diet almost brings me to tears. I am almost regreting my decision of having this surgery. I am no happier, I gained back 1/3 of the weight, and I just want to be healthy.

I would appreciate any advice you have. I anxiously await your response.

Sincerely,

Shannon

Pam T.
on 1/20/09 4:58 am - Saginaw, MI
Shannon -

Yes, a vegatarian diet is possible -- but it's going to take a lot more work to make it contain the high protein needs of our post-op diet.  Do a search on Google for Vegetarian High Protein Diet and start reading through the research that others have already done.   I think there's also a forum here on OH for vegetarians. 

Yes, Whey Isolate Protein is a great source of protein and you should continue using it.  Some other vegetarian proteins off the top of my head include:  legumes, diary, soy, TVP (textured vegatable protein).  If you're open to the idea of fish, there are lots of options there too.

I would also suggest you check out the group here on OH called "Back on Track Together" -- it's a group of post-op folks who are working hard to get back on a solid eating and exercise program.  Lots of great information and support there.
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/backontracktogether/discuss ion/

My Recipe Index is packed full of yumminess!
Visit my blog: Journey to a Healthier Me  ...or my Website

The scale can measure the weight of my body but never my worth as a woman. ~Lysa TerKeurst author of Made to Crave

Most Active