Can someone help me with liquid diet stuff?

slcfisher75
on 1/18/09 2:27 am
My paperwork in in the Ins hands, and I hope to have that back this week. YEAH! I'm doing the VSG, and have to have liquid diet for two weeks prior to surgery.

I need to start shopping for foods now for liquid diet. Can someone help me. I know broths. I was thinking of getting soups and straining the contents out. (Progresso Light) But I was wondering if Yogurts was considered liquid. Or creamy based soups was liquid? I'm so clueless. I know jellos. Any ideas or tips would be wonderfully helpful and so appreciated!!

Thanks!
Sherry
maxs_mom
on 1/18/09 3:20 am - Auburn, WA
~Namaste~

Unfortunately, the term "liquid diet" can mean a number of things.  Is it a "clear liquid diet" or a "full liquid diet"?  Are you supposed to start drinking protein shakes? Does your doctor require the elimination of milk?  Some surgeons suggest carnation instant breakfast drinks while others would never allow those.  Yogurt isn't a liquid unless it's in the form of a shake or smoothie.  Creamy soups are (so long as they are pureed) but they are a "full liquid" not a "clear liquid".  Broth based Progresso soups that have been pureed  would be a "full liquid", strained would be a  "clear liquid."  Even the same surgeon may have different "liquid diets" for different patients based upon starting BMI. Does your surgeon prefer that all protein come from powder or does s/he allow bullets? 

You may want to pose this question in the VSG and your state forums.  Does your surgeon have an OH page that you could review?  You could also call your surgeon's office, explain your status and desire to jump start the program, and ask if they'd give you their specific 2 week pre-op liquid diet guidelines. 

I can tell you that my surgeon required a 10 day liquid diet pre-op that consisted of "clear liquids" plus 3 30 gram protein shakes daily.  "Clear Liquids" include decaf tea, decaf coffee, water, sugar free crystal light drinks (or similar brands), broths, sugar free popsicles, and Jell-O.

I don't know if the above has help or made you more confused. I hope it helped!

Amy

madaia
on 1/18/09 8:37 am - Duluth, MN
 For the liquid diet I was given, cream soups aren't allowed. I'm guessing because of the calories? I don't know to be honest. Straining a soup that isn't cream-based would be something I would be allowed to do. You might want to get it clairified by your surgeon's office. Also no yougurt for me. Whew, I'm almost done though :)
Most Active