How many Calories etc should I be eating?

Mrs. Scarlet
on 1/16/09 12:05 pm - KS
Post Date: 1/16/09 8:03 pm

I'm sure you have all heard this question..(sorry lol) But I am not in the hands of a Nut just yet, (My Dr. has to refer me to one, and I see him on monday. Don't get me started on the crap patient care I have recieved..lol). I am almost 4 weeks out now, and to be honest I'm having a tough time with food...lol.  How many calories/protein/fat/carbs/fluids etc were you all told to be eating at this point? 

I am still on Purees, which is FINE with me!  (I have tried "real" food...and it's hates me right now!) On most days I am getting around:

6-700 calories

60-80 protein

No idea on fats or carbs

60-80 Oz fliuds, not counting shakes or milk.

Does this sound even close to what I need to be getting in? Thank you for all your input, I am going to post on the Nut board as well, I need all the help I can get! LOL

goat
on 1/20/09 1:28 am - NC
initially the surgeon really just wants you to concentrate on you getting in the protein and water. Don't be as concerned about the calorie # right now.

wendy_fou
on 1/25/09 12:18 am - AR
I did about 600 - 750 calories for the first 6 months.  (So it looks good to me!)

60 - 80 grams protein looks right on too!

To ward of dry skin, dry hair and constipation, I'd recommend keeping your total fat intake between 20 - 30% of total calories.  (That's about 13 - 20 grams of fat per day based on 600 calories or 16 - 23 grams of fat per day based on 700 calories per day.)

Most surgeons allow you to count ANY non-carbonated, non-caffienated beverages towards your fluid intake.  I'm not sure why your surgeon doesn't let you count milk.  I'm just putting that information out there. 

Good luck!

Wen
Mrs. Scarlet
on 1/25/09 1:03 am - KS
Thank you!  I have noticed I have dry patches on my skin, and it's wierd, my veins (especially in my hands) seem more noticable...lol.  I'm going to keep on track, but right now my weight keeps going up and down, I supose its normal???
wendy_fou
on 1/25/09 1:21 am - AR
Well it's winter too - so EVERYONE is more prone to dry skin during the winter.   But too little fat in the diet can definately contribute to that problem.

I have the more visible vein thing too.  I have always had a little bit of that problem as I am VERY pale skinned naturally.  But it is worse since my surgery since there is not as much FAT underneath  my skin to HIDE the viens.  So I don't look for that to get any better as long as I'm this small.

But viens being more noticable can also be a sign of anemia (B-12 or iron anemia).  The reason I say that is that one of the symptoms of anemia is paler skin.  If you are NOT naturally pale skinned and seem to be much paler lately (and it's not just a not-enough-fat-under-your-skin-to-hide-the-viens issue), you may want to pay extra close attention to your labs - ESPECIALLY if you are experiencing fatigue or any of the other symptoms of anemia.

Also remember that your labs are the LAST PLACE that problems show up.  So even if you are NOT anemic according to your labs, if you are SYMPTOMATIC, if wouldn't hurt to up your supplements a little bit.  (Increase your iron a little or your B-12 a little.)  This assumes of course that your labs aren't off the charts high or anything.

Good luck! 
Mrs. Scarlet
on 1/25/09 1:24 am - KS
 Hey..Its funny you mentioned this because I just had labs, and they were all fine except for My Vit. D.   I am naturally pale, but more so latley I think...thank you again for the advice!  I have been thinking about uping my iron and B12 anyway, at least for a couple of weeks to see if it helps.
Most Active